Why Are Gummy Bear Implants Supposed to Be Better?

Why are gummy bear implants supposed to be better than regular gel implants? I am wondering if I should ask my doctor for them over regular gel or saline? Thank you for the information!

Gummy bear implants not available in USA

+1

I suspect that the implants you are talking about are not available, except in a limited number of trial studies, in the USA.  Some people call the current generation of silicone gel filled implants "gummy bear", but my understanding is that the "form stable" implants, those not widely available (yet), are what you are talking about.  In any case, the "gummy bear" implants are tear-drop shaped and not for use in everyone.  Your PS can help you with the decision if/when they become available.  They are not round, so if they shift that can be a problem.  One reason I like round implants is that the can rotate all they want and no one cares/knows.  Best of luck to you.

Gummy Bear Implants Better?

+1

Although you will hear "marketing strategies" that will state that one implant is better than the other but there is no scientific testing that states one implant is "better" than another.  Each patient's starting point and goal are different and so the implant selection will differ for each patient.

More important than the type of implant is your selection of a well experienced plastic surgeon.  Allow him/her to select the correct implants to achieve your goals.

Gummy Bear Implants are not better for the average patient

+1

Hi there-

I suspect that what you are referring to as "gummy bear" implants are really the newest generation of gel implants (such as Mentor's Memory Gel), which have a silicone filler that is much more cohesive. These are excellent implants.

True Cohesive gel implants (true gummy bear implants) are much too solid for the average breast augmentation patient, and are not generally available in the United States.

Armando Soto, MD

+1

They aren't better, just different and your surgeon can explain them too you if you live outside the US. If you are a US resident, the Gummy Bear implant is not available.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD