How old do you have to be to get gum surgery?

My younger brother is 14 and he get his braces off in 4 weeks, But his teeth are extremely small. I know there is a gum surgery that removes some of the gum and shows more of your teeth; how old do you have to be to get this done? Also want some suggestion about any good Miami gum surgery expert.

Braces off-Can I Have Gum Reshaping to Make My Teeth Not so Small Looking?

+1

Even if you are as young as 14, you can still have gum re-shaping. 

I would wait for a month or two to let the gum tissues contract somewhat. In addition, a great dental hygienist can help say the right things to get a young patient motivated to do optimal gum care at home. With vigorous care at home, a lot of the swelling of the gums can be reduced. In many instances, gum re-contouring is not necessary as the gums change shape and everything looks a lot better.

In some situations, the gums don't contract much, or the teeth are simply small. Before you let anyone cut the gums, start with a cosmetic dentist. In the end, the goal is to have the smile look great. A great smile is a balance of the right sized teeth outlined by the right shaped gums.

While there are a number of specialists that can perform the gum re-shaping (in our office I do it myself with our laser), the "design" ought to be determined by the cosmetic dentist.

Denver Cosmetic Dentist

There is no age limit to do gum surgery

+1

There is no age limit to do gum surgery for your brother as long as you first look into the following:

1) While a patient is in braces, he/she will develop Gingivitis to a certain extent. some a little, and some quiet a lot. Gingivitis is inflamed gum and the inflamed gum will cover part of tooth and makes it look smaller than what it really is.

2) Gum surgery is not needed in most cases. If there is enough room, with the help of laser we can reduce the gum line and tissue contour the gum .Healing is this procedure almost immediate I do it all the time at the office.

3) make sure the procedure is done at least 2-3 months after the brackets are off, you brother has had a thorough cleaning and exam where the bone height and condition has been assessed

4) Always check with a periodontist, AND a competent cosmetic dentist.

good luck

Soheyla Marzvaan, DDS
Orange County Cosmetic Dentist

Age does not matter for gum surgery

+1

Your brother's age of 14 is fine to have the gum surgery you are describing as long as it is performed by a properly trained surgeon. Without photos or examining this is just based on my previous experience and research. I perform several of these procedures on teens after having their braces off for the reason you speak of. Just make sure he sees a Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon to evaluate his individual situation. Dr Anthony Sclar is a good doctor to see in the Miami area

Brian Dorfman, MD, DMD
Phoenix Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon