Can You Get a Gum Lift Before Invisalign or Braces?

I'm debating on getting braces at the present time, but my dentist said my smile would improve with a gum lift. I'm wondering if I could have the gum lift done, and still get braces done later in life? Or if a gum lift always has to be performed AFTER braces?

Gum lift is best after orthodontic therapy,

+2

however if you do not want to intiate orthodontic treatment just yet , go ahead with the gum lift or tooth crown lengthening. Your gum level may change during orthodontic treatment depending upon the predicted goals in tooth movement so orthodontists usually recommend that crowns/caps and gum lifts be performed after tooth movement unless there is a therapeutic reason to do gum therapy before.

Seattle Orthodontist

Gummy smile

+1
Proper diagnosis has to be made before doing anything.  If the issue is skeletal, then you should have the braces and surgery done to re-position your upper jaw.  The orthodontic treatment for surgery is completely different than a non surgical case.  If orthodontic is done first without consultation with a surgeon and you  are left with a gummy smile, then the whole treamtent has to be reversed.  If the issue is not skeletal, then orthodontic treatment should be completed first.

I hope this answered your question.

Majid Jamali, DMD
New York Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

"Gum Lift" before or after braces?

+1

As you indicate, your two options are to try the gum lift (crown lengthening) and see if the results are satisfactory, or do the braces first.  Ask yourself and your dentist if you really need the braces for other reasons.  If you do, it would make sense to take care of all your needs with one straightforward treatment plan: braces, followed by a gum lift.  If the only reason to get braces is to reduce the gumminess of your smile it might make sense to just do the gum lift and then see if the results satisfy you.  If they don't you can always do the braces, and the effects of the gum lift might still be present, avoiding the need for another gum lift.

Brian Povolny, DDS, PhD
Seattle Orthodontist

Gum lift before or after braces.

+1

The first thing to do if you are considering braces is to go to a ADA recognized orthodontic specialist that does only braces and get a very complete evaluation.     Although you can certainly do the "gum lift" before braces the best timing depends a lot on what type of treatment you need to have done.  If you don't have a very "gummy smile" it may not make much difference when you do it. If you do have a very severe "gummy smile" some orthodontic intrusion of the teeth will likely be needed to help correct the problem.  In cases of that type doing the "gum lift" after the braces would likely be best.    Get a good orthodontist to carefully plan out your treatment ahead of time and have him show you pictures of similar cases that he has personally treated and see if you like how they look after treatment.  

Clark L. Jones, DDS, MSD
Phoenix Orthodontist

Gum Recontouring or Gum Lift

+1

You can do it before or after the braces.  If you are doing the braces in the near future, it is best to do it afterwards because your teeth and gums will shift.  If you are not sure that you will be doing the braces, I would do it now.  A gum lift or gum recontouring is a great way to enhance your smile.  You will show more teeth and less gums.  We like to do this procedure with a laser in our office because there is less shrinkage and quick healing.  Also it could be touched up easily when you do the braces in the future.

Toni Margio, DMD
Las Vegas Cosmetic Dentist

Gum lift, braces, damon braces

+1

You can get a gum lift done before or after braces.  Chances are your bite is off and you need to get braces anyway.  However, if you have a great bite and alignment looks good and it is just your "gummy smile" that you are concerned with...a gingivectomy could be done to help with the smile exposure assuming that the bone levels will allow for this.  You could have some "crown lengthing" done in addition to the "gum lift" to correct the gummy smile too.  Nonetheless, there are several contribuiting factors that can cause a gummy smile and your dentist or orthodontist should be able to give you the proper diagnosis.

Ron D. Wilson, DMD
Gainesville Orthodontist