Can Family Doctor Remove a Growth?

I Have a Growth About the Size of a Peanut on my Shin Should my Family Dr.remove It? Im a Bit Leary About This, she said I would have a scar about 4inches long and a big dent in my leg. thanks cj

Would not recommend family doctor removing a mass

+1

If you are concerned about the ultimate appearance following surgery including the size and appearance of the scar (which most people are), then I would go to someone well trained to perform this - and that would be a plastic surgeon. The good news for you is that it won't cost you any more (if you have insurance) to have this performed well by a plastic surgeon.

Lesion

+1

4 Inches long scar??????????????

Run away to your  PLASTIC SURGEON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Family doctor to remove large leg lesion?

+1

No disrespect to the family doctor but in no way should they be taking large lesions off an area where there isn't much extra skin and leaving a 4 inch scar that will be very visible.  Unfortunately this is where medicine is going.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Lipoma

+1
I would say some family practitioners could do this safely provided they have enough experience. Problem is you don't know how much experience they have. Probably safer to find a general surgeon or a plastic surgeon to do the procedure.

Timothy Mountcastle, MD
Ashburn General Surgeon