Ask a doctor

Can Family Doctor Remove a Growth?

I Have a Growth About the Size of a Peanut on my Shin Should my Family Dr.remove It? Im a Bit Leary About This, she said I would have a scar about 4inches long and a big dent in my leg. thanks cj

Doctor Answers (4)

Would not recommend family doctor removing a mass

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If you are concerned about the ultimate appearance following surgery including the size and appearance of the scar (which most people are), then I would go to someone well trained to perform this - and that would be a plastic surgeon. The good news for you is that it won't cost you any more (if you have insurance) to have this performed well by a plastic surgeon.

Scottsdale Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 23 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

4 Inches long scar??????????????

Run away to your  PLASTIC SURGEON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Samir Shureih, MD
Baltimore Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 3 reviews

Family doctor to remove large leg lesion?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

No disrespect to the family doctor but in no way should they be taking large lesions off an area where there isn't much extra skin and leaving a 4 inch scar that will be very visible.  Unfortunately this is where medicine is going.


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I would say some family practitioners could do this safely provided they have enough experience. Problem is you don't know how much experience they have. Probably safer to find a general surgeon or a plastic surgeon to do the procedure.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.