Will Small Growth on Jawline Affect MACS Facelift?

I am considering getting a MACS Lift and have a small ball-like growth under my skin on my right jawline. It is about the size of the nail on my pointing finger and it moves from side to side.

Does anybody have any idea what this could be and if it will effect my surgery or increase chance of infection?

Right neck mass BEFORE Facelift surgery

+2

Simply put, it is not "normal" to have a mass in that location. Furthermore, although such a mass is most likely benign, for your safety, we should assume that it could be something bad and look for it. For this reason, I would recommend this be biopsied to rule out something bad. It it comes back negative, you could have your surgery with a clear conscience.

Dr. P. Aldea

Have lesion evaluated by dermatologist first

+1

A small growth on the jawline will not affect MACS facelifts. However, since the direction of pull is vertical on a MACS facelift, it will then be more noticeable up over the jawline, not under the jawline. A dermatologist would probably best evaluate the diagnosis of this lesion.

MACS Lift and pre-existing growth

+1

Any mass needs to be evaluated. Once this is done, you can decide if it is reasonable to deal with it at the time of your MACS Lift, or if it needs to be removed first. A lesion known to be benign, such as a subcutaneous cyst or lipoma could be removed at the time of the MACS Lift through the incision for the MACS. Most good Plastic Surgeons should be able to evaluate it and advise you.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

You should get the ball-like growth evaluated before your MACS-Lift.

+1

The most likely diagnosis of this mobile, ball-like growth, would be a lymph node (submandibular lymph node). You should get this evaluated by a board-certified ENT, if your MACS-Lift surgeon is not confident in the diagnosis. If it turns out to be a lesion within your skin, then it might elevate to a location on your facial skin after your MACS-Lift. A submandibular lymph node would be deep to the MACS-Lift and would not likely move in location.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lesion on face

+1

Most likely it is a benign cyst or lipoma since it is soft and freely mobile under the skin.  However, before undergoing any surgical procedure it is important that you have it checked out and possibly have a biopsy.  Good luck with your surgery.

David Shafer, MD

Probably a good idea to take care of the cyst before the facelift

+1

Dear Njgirl

While it is the case that any surgeon offering to perform a facelift should also be able to take care of the cyst, it might be a good idea to resolve these two issues separately. The cyst can be one of a number of things including a simple inclusion cyst. As this is something that is most likely covered by your heal insurance, I would recommend asking your primary care physician for a referral to an otolaryngologist on your health insurance panel and let them excise the cyst under your health insurance. It is possible to remove the cyst at the time of the facelift. However I think that it would be far more comforting to know ahead of the facelift what is causing the mass you are describing and have it resolved so that the location of any scar that results can be managed as part of the facelift.

MACS Facelift

+1

Hi,

Difficult to say what it is without seeing it. Its sounds like a sebaceous cyst and should not pose a problem with a lift. If it ruptures it can increase your chances for infection but it can also be removed or avoided during the surgery. Of course, you will have antibiotics preop and postop.

Dr. S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS