Could I Grow out of my Symmastia?

I am 15 years old and I realized that I have mild symmastia. I am extremely self conscious about it and it prevents me from wearing certain bras and tops. I am wondering whether I could possibly grow out of it since I am only young? Or if not if there is any way I can prevent it from getting worse or cure it without surgery?

Synmastia

+1

If you really do have this problem it is unlikely to go away without surgery. discuss this with a parent and seek advice from a plastic surgeon

Could I Grow out of my Symmastia?

+1

Hi Gabby -

I would encourage you to discuss this with an adult you can confide in.

You are still young and have much growth in front of you.

Have faith that plastic surgeons have many tricks up their sleeves, should you eventually seek a surgical solution when you are older.

All the best!

Eric Pugash, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Symmastia And 15 Year Old?

+1

Unfortunately, it is not likely that you will “grow out of” any type of specific breast condition. I would suggest that you continue to be patient and allow for full breast development to occur. If,  at that point,  the situation is still bothersome, consult with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons. Depending on exactly what the situation is at that time, the variety of options may be available to you. For example, sometimes judicious liposuctioning of the pre-sternal area may be helpful in improving the situation for patients who present with “mild symmastia”.

Growing out of symmastia

+1

Congenital symmastia or synmastia does not typically improve with time or age. If the symmastia is worsened as a result of breast hypertrophy, a breast reduction procedure can sometimes make the condition appear less severe. 

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Self conscious about breasts

+1

Dear Gabby.  Being 15 is difficult enough but when you are already concerned over symmammia makes it more difficult.  Have you discussed this with your mom, understanding aunt or older sister.  Maybe for reassurance now is the time to see a plastic surgeon in consultation, not for surgery.  He or she can address your concerns and at least give you some hope that this will either improve or can be improved with surgery in the future.  At 15 your breasts are still changing and will do so for several more years.  I would address my concerns to your parents or mom alone that way.  Good luck, Dr. Schuster in Boca Raton FL.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Symmastia at 15

+1

Without photos, it is difficult for me to say whether or not you even have symmastia.  But if you do, you will not grow out of it.

Symmastia is unlikely improve with time

+1

I agree with Dr Gotlieb's answer. This will not likely improve with time and may need surgery.

John Squires, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Symmastia and Surgery

+1

I am not sure that you can grow out of symmastia.  The symmastia can be corrected by several techniques.  It would be helpful to see pictures to determine if anything would need to be done for you.

Could I Grow out of my Symmastia?

+1

Findings of symmastia are not likely to improve with further breast development. The only treatments are surgical. This would probably not be advised until your breast development is complete. But that doesn't mean that this is not a good time to meet with a plastic surgeon to review the findings, and to discuss the treatment possibilities. 

Thanks for your question, all the best.