Groupon Discount: 15 IPL Hair Removal Treatments for $99 - Worth It?

I've searched for reviews on the clinic offering the service, but have found virtually none. They use the Photosilk Plus IPL device. I figure that, even though IPL is regarded as less effective than laser, 15 treatments for $99 can't be beat. I just want to make sure that I'm not overlooking some risks associated wth IPL. Thanks!

IPL hair reduction

+1

It's always important to remember you get what you pay for.  IPL's can be effective for hair reduction, however there are more advanced lasers on the market today.  You might want to be aware of what results your looking for and where your money and time maybe better spent. 

Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Are IPL treatments safe and effective?

+1

IPL works very well for hair reduction.  The difference between IPL and some lasers is the type of skin that can be treated with IPL.  Usually for skin types above 4, that is skin types 5 and 6, the potential for side effects such as hyper or hypopigmentation and burns is higher.  Skin typing needs to be done by means of a specific questionnaire to determine the exact type.

There should be no sun exposure to the area to be treated for one month before or after the IPL treatment. 

Also, make sure the consultation is done by a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon with training and experience in IPL hair removal.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon