What are realistic expectations from a tummy tuck? (photo)

I'm currently working on losing weight the recommended 25-30 lbs based on my before photos I started at 169 and lost 8 lbs putting me at 161 looking to lose more then suggested and be around 125 when I'm ready for the surgery so far and was curious if my pictures from pre kids is realistic as I will be able to look like that ? I was 118-124 before kids I wasn't super skinny but that's not my goal I just want to be flat again and confident.

Real expectations.

+4
Hi 3Csectionslater.
You are to be commended on your weight loss and the fact that you're willing to lose even use more. I see no reason for you not getting close to your pre-pregnancy figure if you do lose the extra weight. A full tt but possibly a lower body lift might be needed for you to get there.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Realistic Expectation

+2
Great question on many levels 3csectionslater.

First, Nobody can really give you a satisfying answer without a direct examination.

I can tell you by your photos however, you will be able to loose the "overhang" created by the stretching from pregnancies, and the adherent skin from your 3 C-sections (I am assuming).  I would also bet that you should get a flatter abdomen and improvement in the hour glass region from tightening the muscle layers.  On your visit with the board certified plastic surgeon (not a so called "cosmetic surgeon"), he can simulate the post-op results on you by "pinching" the tissue.

The other issue that your question raises, at least in my mind, is the controversial issue of pre-op weight loss.  I would be interested to hear what other plastic surgeons have to say about this.  Personally, I don't really want to have my patients to lose weight for the surgery.  I want them to come in at their stable weight, and be healthy.  Reason?  Studies show that people tend to have a steady weight.  After 40, people tend to gain about a pound a year (on average).  When people diet, they tend to fail.  When people fail diets, people gain the weight back, plus, on average, 4 pounds.  If they have a tummy tuck, then gain all the weight back plus four pounds, they will tend to be very disappointed after an initial period of being very happy.  It is almost predictable.  Some people however will be successful in keeping the weight off.

On the other hand, It is always best to live a healthy lifestyle and get to a healthy weight/ BMI.  I would advise doing that with diet and exercise under a doctors supervision.  Doctors who specialize in weight loss may be a good option.  When your weight is stable, and you are healthy, consider the surgery.

Anyway, that is my philosophy.

Best to you .

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Keep up the exercise

+2
You are on the right path to a great result by losing as much weight as possible before the procedure you can get the most skin removed and muscle repair. Your ink will need some repair as well after a tummy tuck but that should be fine. You may also consider a body lift if you do get back down to 125 since this will tighten the sides and lift the buttock area too! Good Luck

Gregory Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

+2
Thank you for the question and pictures.

Loosing weight can be very difficult at times but some how you're making it happen, congrats!!

I believe that you would male a great candidate for the tummy tuck procedure, this will remove all the excess skin and repair abdominal muscles to correct the protruded abdomen, giving you a flat stomach again. I wold combine it with liposuction of the waist, upper and lower back as well as fat transfer to the buttocks.

Dr. Campos

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty Expectations

+2
Congratulations on your weight loss thus far.Your goal, to return to your previous weight, is very reasonable and the ideal prior to undergoing a Tummy Tuck.To answer your question, yes, you can expect to look similar to your before baby picture.This will require abdominal muscular tightening and, probably, some lateral liposuction. The only real cosmetic problem is that, because the
skin folds extending significantly laterally, you will have some modification of the lateral tattoos.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Realistic expectation after tummy tuck

+2
I admire your motivation and determination to loose more weight and getting closer to your before pregnancy weight. You , most probably will get rid of the fatty tissue which is accumulated under your abdominal skin. Your stretch marks and excess skin, however,will not go away. Your abdomen is going to become flatter and you may feel and look as good as before giving birth to your children when you have your cloth on, however you are not going to look the same in the swimming suits.

Fereydoon S. Mahjouri, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Lose the most weight possible before tummy tuck

+2
.Thank you for your question and photographs.  Congratulations on your weight loss that is test.  You will be rewarded with a better tummy tuck result the closer you get to your ideal body weight.

Please resist attempt patient to have the surgery before you have achieved your maximum weight loss.  Weight loss after a tummy tuck will result in more loose skin.

Once you get to your ideal weight I believe you should expect to have an excellent tummy tuck result and get close to your pre-pregnancy tummy shape.

The most important thing is defined an expert plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, very experienced in tummy tuck surgery and who has an excellent reputation in your community.  In cyst on seeing before and after photographs tummy tuck's that the surgeon has operated on.  Choose your surgeon Jerry Wise

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck

+2
congratulations on the weight loss keep it up and you will have the desired result you are looking for.

From your current photographs it seems as though you'll be a good candidate for full tummy tuck with muscle tightening and possibly some liposuction of the flanks.

You seem to be having good success with your weight loss. I always recommend to my patients that they arrive at their stable wait before they embark upon surgery. Stable weight does not always meanrail thin ,what it means a weight that you feel comfortable at and can maintain without starving yourself.

You don't want to starve herself just before surgery because it will make it more difficult to heal. You don't want to lose a lot of weight after your surgery because the skin may become even looser once again.

So it's looks as though you're doing everything right and well on your way to tummy tuck but try to accomplish your weight loss goals before you proceed.

Marwan R. Khalifeh, MD
Chevy Chase Plastic Surgeon

What are realistic expectations from a tummy tuck?

+1

A tummy tuck can remove loose skin and tighten the abdominal wall and put you close to your goal if additional weight is lost.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of tummy tuck procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.