Do I Need an Extended Tummy Tuck or is a Regular Tummy Tuck Fine for Me?

I am 5'7" - 168lbs and still losing. I wear a size 6 pants, due to no hips and no butt. Goal weight is 145lbs and will be hit before surgery. I have had 4 csections and a hysterectomy and at 145lbs will have lost 100lbs since highest weight- I do not have excess fat or skin in the hip/love handle area (and no butt) - I am confused as to which surgery would benefit me more. I have a consut on the 28th and just want to make sure I don't get taken advantage of like I did at the last consult.

Do I Need an Extended Tummy Tuck

+1

Not much value to any of our responses without being able to see a photo-preferably front and side. As a general rule, the incision should extend a couple of inches beyond the visible extent of  the excess skin. 

There are no fixed definitions to distinguish between a standard and an extended TT. Most surgeons would consider the procedure to be "extended " if a position change were necessary because of the length of the incision. 

With 100 pounds of weight loss I would guess that an extended TT would be suggested, or perhaps a vertical TT with an added vertical incision to removed horizontal excess.  However, by your verbal description it might just be a standard TT. Consider posting photos and you are likely to get more useful info.

Thanks, best wishes. 

Extended tummy tuck when you have 'extended' amount of excess skin

+1

Without seeing pictures of you abdomen it is impossible to say how much will be required, and additionally until you have lost all your weight it is difficult to have an accurate surgical plan for you.

In general, if your skin excess and skin folds extend onto your sides, an extended incision may be required.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Regular vs. Extended Tummy Tuck in Extreme Weight Loss

+1

Whether your tummy tuck excision should extend beyond your hips or not depends on how much loose skin you have. One would suspect that with an over 100lb weight loss, an extended tummy tuck may serve you better. But without photos, your question can not be adequately answered.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Tummy Tuck - Regular or Extending

+1

Congrats on your weight loss!  That is wonderful!  Without seeing photos, I cannot determine your needs, but will offer you advise.  You stated that you have had an issue with a surgeon, and felt you were taken advantage of.  Be sure to seek a consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, certified by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) to discuss your expectations. 

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

One size does not fit all

+1

Loosing weight is an accomplishment to be congratulated.  Once you are near or at your goal weight, it is a good time to have an evaluation.  The goals generally of a tummy tuck or abdominoplasty are to removed ALL the excess skin and fat and tighten the underlying abdominal wall.  Body contouring after significant weight loss can be somewhat different in that there is often more than the front of the abdomen that needs to be addressed.  In addition, you need to have clear  goals and desires and expectations.  A physician may recommend the procedure that will remove and recontour all areas of excess and this could be called an extended abdominplasty or belt lipectomy, etc.  The key is to understand where and what is recommended to be removed and tightened.  If that does not fit in your budget, then you may have to readjust your expectations and goals, otherwise one can be disappointed with the results. 

Additional, post weight loss body contouring may require more than one surgery or staged operations to reach ones goals.

Roberta Gartside, MD
Reston Plastic Surgeon

Regular or Extended Tummy Tuck?

+1

Congratulations on your successful weight loss; you should be very proud of this accomplishment. Exactly which  body contouring operation you will benefit will depend on your physical examination and your personal goals. Therefore, online consultants will not be able to provide you with specific/precise advice.

Generally, for most patients who have had significant  weight loss, an understanding of different  surgical options available  is important. Otherwise, patients may end up with “regrets” after surgery. For example, if a patient has a goal to treat the “muffin top” area surgically,  an extended tummy tuck operation may be his/her best option.

The extended tummy tuck procedure involves flank and back skin and adipose tissue excision as well as liposuction surgery. If liposuction alone is done the patient may still end up with the muffin top and require further surgery to improve the waistline in the future.

Good luck with your next consultation;  make sure you communicate your personal goals clearly.

+1

I don't think I could give you an answer to your question that is specific to your circumstances without an exam or at the least some good quality photos. But I have never had a patient with large weight loss that would not benefit from the extended TT and I do quite a lot of that type of surgery. Get an exam and have the surgeon show you, on your body,. what each surgery would accomplish.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD