Green Tea, Fish Oil, Herbal/Vitamin Supplements After Breast Reduction?

I take daily doses of herbal supps to boost immune, stamina and maintenance, discontinued 10days pre op. I now 6 days post op, only took 1 dose of pain meds & immediately discontinued. I have substitued Valerian Root to ease slight discomfort, more restful state & opted for the anti-biotic properties of echinacea/goldenseal tincture over the prescription, taken every 4hrs. Is it safe to resume supps like Siberian Ginseng, Green Tea, Nettle, etc? PS checked resume but no time frame indicated

Oral nutritional supplements after surgery

+2

Your plastic surgeon is in the best position to answer this question.  In my opinion your supplements will not cause an increase in bleeding or any post operative complication at this point.  If you believe that they are helpful then continue.  

Supplements after Surgery

+2

There are very few studies on the effects of supplements after surgery. Since you take many supplements, it is even harder to give a recommendation. I would wait a few weeks until you are fully healed.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Resuming Supplements after Breast Reduction Surgery?

+2

Congratulations on having undergone the breast reduction procedure. At this point, it is likely that you will be able to resume preoperative medications/supplements..  However, given that your plastic surgeon is ultimately responsible for your care, best to check with him/her specifically.

Best wishes; hopefully you will be very pleased with the outcome of the procedure.

When Can I Resume Supplements After Surgery?

+1

In my practice, I require patients to discontinue any supplements that thin the blood such as Ginseng, Green Tea, Flax Seed, etc…for 2 weeks prior to surgery and 2 weeks post surgery.  Every practice is different so I would talk with your surgeon and follow his/her recommendations before self supplementing.

Andrew Smith, MD, FACS
Irvine Plastic Surgeon