2 months post op of Revision Otoplasty, I see some asymmetry and my right ear is hard. Is this normal? (photos)

I underwent revision otoplasty 2 months ago due to overcorrection.Now although the result is more satisfying ,i see some significant assymetry which can also be identified through touch (the right ear is very hard , impossible to bend and the cartilage is bent behind the antihelical fold,unlike the left one.I am actually embarassed to discuss this with my surgeon since i 've already had 2 ear surgeries.Though,i still believe i didnt come to an acceptable/optimal result.Would you agree ?

Asymmetry after Revision Otoplasty

+1
A photo from the back, taken from the centre of the head and with both ears visible at the same time, is still required for the assessment. As far as I can see in the photo from the front, the asymmetry is due to the differing anatomy: in the upper third of your ears, the helix of your right ear is curved forwards and outwards like a shovel, and this is not present to this extent in your left ear. A slight asymmetry of the ears is actually the rule and an absolute symmetry is the exception. Therefore, I would advise you not to have a further otoplasty. If you however still want to have one, then the asymmetry in the upper third could be removed with the minimally invasive stitch method using a single thread. However, you should wait at least 3 months, better still 6 months, after the last operation.

Germany Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry after Revision Otoplasty

+1
Dear Evan
Thanks for sharing your experience.  I would agree that there is a degree of asymmetry, although on frontal view which is the most important I would say that it does not appear that recognizable, and understand that no one is entirely symmetric.  We would need to see more views, to assess whether there is a greater problem.Two months is a short period, and I would caution  you against revision for quite some time.  The ear if the bend was created with sutures, may relax some on it's own. 

Arthur N. Falk, MD
Albany Facial Plastic Surgeon

2 months post op of Revision Otoplasty, I see some asymmetry

+1
From the single photo, there appears to be some symmetry.  You should discuss with your surgeon since you presumably paid him to improve your ear contour.  Re-operation after an initial unsatisfactory surgery is more difficult than the first surgery.  

John F. Reinisch, MD