Look Great Standing and Ugly Sitting 3.5 Months Post Lipo Without Tummy Tuck?

I am 3.5 months post. I did lipo w/o a tummy tuck. Looks great standing up. When I sit, I feel miserable unless I have a girdle, compression garment on or sitting so erect I look silly. Stomach is pushing to the top right under my bra and it is so uncomfortable. It looks bunched up if that makes sense. I cannot grab a hand of fat standing up like I did before. I have had 3 children, have stretch marks, and 50 years old. Height is 5'4" and weight 143 lbs. Will it get better in time?

Liposuction without a Tummy Tuck

+1

Most women after several pregnancies at age 50 will need a tummy tuck, especially after a liposuction is performed.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Abdominal skin and ventral wall laxity

+1

Some of what you describe may be loose skin, but it sounds more to me that you have a weak abdominal wall. This really can not be addressed with anything less than a full abdominoplasty with tightening of the abdominal muscles. Liposuction alone is a great tool for many patients and for certain body areas, but there are very few patients that have had 3 children and notable stretch marks on the abdomen that wouldn't be better treated with a tummy tuck instead of liposuction alone. I doubt that what is bothering you will significantly change with just time, unfortunately.

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Loose skin after lipo

+1

It sounds like you are dealing with excess tissue.  If your skin has lost a lot of its elasticity, which it sounds as though it may have from your description, then you probably won't experience any more skin tightening.  A tummy tuck may help you achieve the look you are hoping for.  Good luck

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty vs. liposuction

+1

It is impossible to say for sure without a face to face examination or photos but it sounds like you had liposuction assisted by laser or ultrasound to shrink skin. These modalities cannot shrink enough skin if the excess is too great. The modality used created scar tissue under the skin that does not allow the remaining excess skin to redistribute itself over the entire abdomen. Therefore when you sit so it bunches up at the top. I doubt it will get better by itself and revision by tummy tuck can be difficult or incomplete if the scarring is significant.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Loose skin after abdominal liposuction

+1

With three pregnancies and stretch marks, the signs are there that skin elasticity has been lost. Liposuction will just not have any effect on the poor skin tone, and perhaps a tummy tuck is a solution.

Liposuction does not replace a tummy tuck

+1

Too many non plastic surgeons are promoting laser liposuction as a substitute for a tummy tuck telling you that the new technology will shrink your skin.  This is simply not true and has never been shown to be true scientifically.  It sounds like you still have loose skin and should see a real plastic surgeon to discuss options.  At this point, you are seeing your final result.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS