I Found a Great Rhino Surgeon with a Lot of Experience but His is in His Mid Seventies, Is This Recommended?

I know that he has a lot of experience but I am being paranoid because of his age and to embarased to ask him this question: What if something happens to the surgeon during the surgery? Due to the age, anything is possible like heart attack? What would happen to me as a patient while on the operating table? I know this is a silly question but what if?......

+1

There is no substitute for experience.  You are as safe or safer with the senior surgeon you have selected as with a younger surgeon.  Statistically, the chance of a sudden adverse event during your procedure that would affect the outcome is quite remote.  This answer is coming from a 55 year old surgeon, in practice for twenty years.

Age of surgeon

+1

This is a good question.  I wouldn't worry as much about the surgeon having an event during your surgery but it is true that some surgeons have been known to operate 'past their prime'.  Each surgeon is different and many stay very sharp long after 70

Sam Naficy, MD

The experience of your rhinoplasty surgeon is important for achieving a good result.

+1

I had the privilege of observing my rhinoplasty teacher, nearly 13 years after my fellowship, perform a complicated revision surgery with irradiated rib cartilage for reconstructive purposes. He's likely in his 70's and his steady, controlled demeanor and world-class technique in the OR was as I remembered.

Your concern about your surgeon suffering a heart attack during your surgery is a concern I do not know how to address. I've never heard of any surgeon dropping during a nose job, due to illness. I would be interested to hear if any other RealSelf experts have heard of such an event.

Hope this helps.

Good luck with your choice.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

70 is the new 60

+1

It is your call, but experience is important with a surgeon. We are ageing, but many older surgeons are excellent.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Rhinoplasty surgery

+1
If your surgery is being done in an accredited facility we are trained to prepare for all types of complications and these include an impaired surgeon or anesthesiologist. We have an anesthesiologist and surgeon on call at all times in the case of any possible problems. I do not think that age should be a concern to you. The more experience the better and as in my surgical facility most of my staff has been there for over fifteen years and we do monthly drills to prepare for all emergencies. A well trained surgeon and an accredited facility are to work together to ensure the ultimate in patient safety and satisfaction. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD