No Grave's disease. Orbital decompression or not?

So I'm 20 years and my eyes are slightly bulging. And that affects my self confidence in a major way so I am wondering if orbital decompression is a solution? I know it is for Grave's disease which I Don't have. What are the possible complications of this surgery? Like lost of sight. And how much does it cost? Also aren't there any none surgical alternatives like medicaments that can reduce the hormones causing protruding eyes? Thanks for answering !

Bulging eyes

+1
  • Please don't have an orbital decompression for slightly bulging eyes - it is not a cosmetic procedure.
  • See a Board Certified Opthalmologist to be sure there is no eye problem causing the fullness,
  • And see a really good endocrinologist - to be sure there is no underlying metabolic or hormonal problem that is a factor. Best wishes.

One in 100,000 cases of blindness with orbital decompression is just a guess.

+1
That it is because it is unlikely that 100000 orbital decompressions have been performed in the history of mankind.  Now if that is the number then the risk of blindness from all causes is much, much higher than 1 in 100000.  It is realistically much more like 1 case of blindness for every 500 orbital decompressions.  Even this risk is acceptable for someone who is disfigured by thyroid eye disease.  However, for a cosmetic concern, the enthusiasm to accept this risk may be much less.  Without an actual photograph it is hard to know if you are appropriately concerned or inappropriately concerned with the prominence of your eyes.

Cosmetic orbital decompression

+1
Orbital decompression is for treatment of bulgy eyes, which can result from other causes besides Graves disease, such as congenital.  Risk of major complications (such as blindness) is extremely low (one in 100,000 or less).  I have more information on my website link provided. See an oculoplastic surgeon for evaluation.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon