Can Someone with Graves Disease Have Fillers Done?

I've had Graves disease for 2 years now, my doctor told me that I am recovering, I want to have some fillers done on my lip but I am worried that I would have some negative reaction or a infection would happen.

Grave's Disease and Facial Injectable Fillers

+2

There are no known contraindications for a patient diagnosed with Grave's disease in getting injectable fillers anywhere on the face. Thyroid conditions do not increase the risk of complications from facial injectable fillers.

Fillers in Someone with Graves Disease

+2

As far as I know, there is no contraindication to having fillers with Graves Disease. There should absolutely be no increased risk of complications or infections or other health problems. Graves Disease is, however, an autoimmune disease. Because of this, there is a slight risk that the injected filler may be absorbed faster than normal. This can happen even in someone without any other problems. This should not be a reason for not trying them. The worst that could happen is that you will have a less prolonged effect and may have wasted a little money.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Lip fillers and Grave's Disease

+2

I am not aware of any interaction between having lip fillers, such as hyaluronic acid products, and Grave's Disease.  You should be able to have the lip treatment without a problem.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fillers

+1

Fillers can certainly be performed in patients with endocrine diseases such as Graves disease.  It would be recommended to have the condition under control prior to performing the filler.

Craig Mezrow, MS, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Filer Safe in Person with Graves Disease

+1

Based on my knowledge and experience, there is no contraindication to having fillers in someone who has Graves Disease. The risk of complications should also be no greater in a patient with Graves Disease than a patient without. If you want to have your lips augmented, you should go ahead and get a consult. 

Channing R. Barnett, MD

+1

There is no connection that I am aware of between hyaluronic acid type fillers and worsening of Graves disease. Your injector should take a full history to ensure that your filler treatments will not cause you any harm. However, contraindications to filler treatments are few. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Lone Tree Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon