30D to 30B - How Many Grams Removed?

I'm 26, 5'4, 110, and wore a 30D bra. I sought a reduction to a 30B at most to fix constant discomfort and weight that interfered with all aspects of life. I signed consent for a reduction, but the surgeon explained his procedure would be more of a lift, siting a substantial amount of excess skin. He removed only 100 grams of actual tissue. I'm almost 2 weeks post-op. I measure a full C cup/small D (9" around breast)! Do I have any options? Is smart lipo an appropriate procedure here?

Breast Reduction and Breast Size?

+1

It would be in your best interest to wait at least 6 months after surgery to evaluate the results of the breast reduction procedure. Hopefully at that time you'll very pleased with the results of the procedure. If you decide that the results you're looking for are significantly smaller breasts,  then the only predictable way to achieve this is to have further surgery.

Keep in mind, there is no direct correlation between the amount of tissue removed and the ultimate cup size that a patient will wear after breast reduction surgery.
Before undergoing the breast reduction procedure or  revisionary press reduction surgery it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.‚Ä®Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

Breast shape and size change after surgery for months

+1

It is way too early to worry.  You still have your tape on!  Try to be patient because your breasts will change a great deal over the next six to twelve months.  As they change, the size will get smaller and the shape will improve.

Good luck.  I think you will do well.

Mark B. Constantian, MD, FACS
Nashua Plastic Surgeon

200 - 225 grams need to be removed from each breast to go from D to B.

+1

Hi.

This is an estimate based on your dimensions and established charts.  Do nothing for four months.  You may come to like your breasts.  If you decide that you want to be smaller, then a revision with or without tumescent  liposuction will work.  But I would avoid SmartLipo.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Size after breast reduction

+1

I tell my patients that it will take at least three months for most of the swelling to resolve so it is far too early to tell what size you will eventually be so I would not recommend planning any further procedures yet. And bra manufacturers have not really standardized their sizing so it is impossible to know yet what size you will be in a bra that is comfortable for you. And try to look at it from the point of view of what size is best for you, your body shape and life style and not get hung up on a letter. Patience is hard but it is best for you to wait before making any final evaluations or decisions.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction - Breast reduction from D to B

+1

Hi Ali,

First of all, it is WAY too early for you to do anything other than let your body heal on its own, and stay in touch with your plastic surgeon. 

You may or may not be correct in that not enough tissue was removed, but that is - all things considered - a better problem than having had too much tissue removed.  Either way, you need to wait this out for a while to see how things settle down.

That being said, it is also true that if you undergo a dramatic change in bra cup size (as I would consider a true D to a true B) you may risk jeopardizing both the blood supply to the nipple and areola, and the overall shape of the breast.  For that reason, it is generally advisable not too undergo to great a reduction of the percent of your breast.  Certainly going down a cup size would have been reasonable and perhaps only slightly more, but I would have had to see your preop photos (and preferably be able to have seen you in person) to give any more specific advice than that.  Either way, though, a 100 gram reduction would be considered a lift - but so is any reduction that is about 300 grams or less.  The issue is not how much was taken off, but whether or not you got the final result you wanted and was advised.

My advice:  stay in touch with your plastic surgeon and if you wind up larger than you wanted to be, then some liposuction (there are many different types) may be exactly the right solution.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Breast reduction from D to B

+1

It was not realistic to expect to go from a D to a B cup with a reduction.  First of all, no cup sizing is standardized so no plastic surgeons can promise you a cup size result.  Secondly, the base width of the breast doesn't change with a reduction and this is an important determinant of cup size.  In addition, you look quite small to have had significant symproms from breast weight so you might need to look to other sources of the discomfort.  Finally, the more you try to reduce the breast in size the more risk you take on with blood flow compromise and possible nipple death and permanent numbness.  You look like you will have a nice result in 3-4 months and hopefully you will be happy.  Don't do anything for now and try to be patient.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS