Liposuction Went Wrong: What Next?

I had a liposuction a few years ago in my abdomen. it didn't go well.The doctor took too much fat. I consulted a doctor and he suggest grafting the fat left in the abdomen and underarms to fill the areas that need fat, but there isn't really that much. in this case,is this the only procedure available? would it be advisable to gain more weight to be able to have more fat to work with? If so how much weight? Last, is there a way to find a doctor who specializes in corrective procedures?

Post Liposuction Correction

+1

Sorry for your negative experience. The recommendation sounds appropriate. Consult with 2 to 3 other board certified plastic surgeons in your area to confirm recommendation.

Indents and depressions after liposuction

+1

The consulted physician suggested what is the most appropriate treatment for overresected fat. There may be enough fat to improve the areas that need the correction but I would not suggest gaining weight. There is no better substitute for filling in the areas.  If the surgeon is interested in attempting this correction, they may have to work with what's available and reevaluate your condition for other treatment after you heal.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Dimples after lipo

+1

This can happen if one is too aggressive.I would think you may have some areas for grafting and another consideration would be to do a tummy tuck to help smooth the divots out as well.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Post-Liposuction defects.

+1

Transferring fat into defects can work, especially if coupled with growth factors or stem cells.  Undermining the area with an undermining instrument can lyse adhesions, which may be a factor in your problem.  The place to pursue this is with a board certified plastic surgeon.  Don't close the door on the possibility of at least partial correction without through investigation.

Ritu Chopra, MD

My Abdominal liposuction left me with depressions what to do next.

+1

If the doctor you consulted is a board certified plastic surgeon with experience, it is hard to top his opinion without seeing you. I can explain to you certain generalities about abdominal liposuction. Sometimes the problems are due to over resection using a cannula that is too big, other time the problem is related to excess skin laxity and lack of adequate elasticity in the skin. If the skin is too loose, then an abdominoplasty can correct the problem. If the laxity is below the belly bottom then a mini-abdominoplasty could be enough. Fat grafting would work if the skin quality is good. Harvesting adequate fat is usually not a problem. if you want another opinion you can consult Dr. Stephan Baker in Miami area.

Farhad Rafizadeh, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Corrective procedures

+1

Sorry JEZ for your unhappy experience.

It has been my experience to have treated such problems many times over the last 15 years. The doc you consulted was correct. Even if you think that you do not have much fat, the doc will likely be able to harvest enough from other areas to fill your "dents". I would not suggest that you treat them by trying to gain weight. Good luck

Richard Sadove, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon