Graft to Raise Tip of Nose in Rhinoplasty Has Changed My Smile?

I had a rhinoplasty done 12 days ago for a very bulbous droopy nose. He used a cartilage graft in the base of my nose (from my own excess nasal cartilage) to support the tip. Now I feel this tightness in the tip of my nose and upper lip, which has changed the appearance of my smile ( it looks strained and I have a lower smile line). I am wondering what are the chances that this graft may have changed my smile permanently? and if so, is there anything I can do to get back my smile?

Rhinoplasty has changed my smile

+2

It is possible that the graft used to support the tip, or fill at the base of the nose by the lip, could cause a change in the smile, but most often temporarily so. The tissues are firm and tight at twelve days and ordinarily we like to see that the contours are right and the tip is up where it belongs. Be patient, as the stiffness may last several months before things move as they once did.

Change Of Smile After Rhinoplasty

+1

Dear Sara,

The stiffness you will at you nasal tip is normal and it will become less intense with time as nature takes its course and the swelling subsides. However, the stiffness may not be 100% eliminated as every patient is different.

Complete recovery and establishment of final results happen at about 12 months post-surgery and so your smile will most likely change as the swelling subsides.

I recommend that you communicate with your surgeon keeping him in the loop of your recovery process.

Thank you for your inquiry.

The best of wishes to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Rhinoplasty and smile

+1

It is quite common after 12 days to have swelling and difficulty sometimes smiling.  This usually gets better with time.

Changed smile 12 days after Rhinoplasty

+1

I think this is very natural and normal after 12 days of Rhinoplasty to feel stiffness on your face and difficulty in smiling out of swelling and bruising cause by dissection of soft tissue of nose .Its too early to comment and patience must be exercised at this stage.It normally does not change smile and even if does its for better.

Ashok Govila, FRCS, MCh, MS
Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Tip Graft Shouldn't Change Your Smile Permanently

+1

You still have quite a bit of swelling this soon after a rhinoplasty. Most people who have a tip graft for support will say that the tip of their nose feels a bit more stiff than it did prior to surgery, and while this gets better over time, this stiffness may be permanent. The change in your smile will very likely resolve over time. Be patient and good luck.

Michael R. Menachof, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Graft changed my smile

+1

If you are 12 days post op for a droopy nose it's more likely that this is from muscle swelling and release. Most of this will subside. What may be different in you smile if you tip was lifted is that you are seeing more of your upper lip which is the desired effect.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon