Can I Have a Graft from Rhinoplasty Removed Easily?

I think I have phrased this question correctly, however am not totally sure of the specifics of my surgery. When I had a revision rhinoplasty, I had mentioned to the doctor that, I didn't like my profile . .kind of pointy. He placed what I think was a graft in it to make it look less severe/lessen angle. It has been a few years and I am not a fan of it at all, it makes my tip and nostrils look uneven and my nose slightly bulbous. Is it easy enough to just have this removed without major surgery?

Is it easy to remove a graft that was placed during my rhinoplasty?

+1

Hello, and sorry to hear you are not satisfied with the result of your rhinoplasty. Depending on the nature of your surgery, it may not be possible to simply remove a graft. This may leave your nose out of balance with your face. A thorough examination and analysis of the nose would be necessary to provide you with advice on how you may improve its appearance. From here, I would recommend an in-person consult with a qualified revision rhinoplasty surgeon. When choosing a surgeon, be sure to look for the following:

1) Board certification
2) Fellowship training
3) Great before and after photos
4) Fantastic patient testimonials

It is possible to even out your nostrils using additional grafts. You may also improve the appearance of a bulbous nose by refining the nasal tip. I hope this helps, and good luck!

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Recovery

+1

Dear Dream Catcher,

I would suggest requesting a copy of your operative report and your original preoperative photographs. This will help the revising surgeon to know what was done in your original procedure. You will probably require a revision rhinoplasty to achieve the desired results you want.  Unfortunately, I perform a lot of revision rhinoplasty procedures from other surgeons and you may have several different issues that are contributing to your current results. A direct examination and consultation will help you have all of your questions answered. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

+1

Most likely, not.  The unevenness that you see may actually be due to the tip cartilages themselves with or without the cartilage graft.  If there is a graft, it may have shifted or partially dissolved which grafts can sometimes do.  In either case, your most likely looking at a Revision Tip Plasty as part of a Rhinoplasty.

In contrast, if you had stated that the tip looked pretty good except for a small bump where you believed a graft had been placed....this would more likely be a case for simple cartilage graft removal.  

Cartilage grafts of nasal tip

+1

Nasal tip cartilage grafts are swen into place and then often scar in. It can be difficult to sometimes remove them. 

Revision rhinoplasty surgery

+1

Dear DreamCatcher19,

• To be honest, if it is a tip graft, usually these are sewed in and scar into place, which might require another procedure
  • You may have other options depending on what kind of result you are looking for
  • If you are unhappy with your nostrils as well, you may need more work than just removing the graft
  • It is best to see a surgeon in consultation where all of your questions can be answered

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Graft Removed in a Rhinoplasty Revision

+1

Grafts may need to be removed in a revision and are usually easy enough to remove.  However, without knowing what was done exactly to create the nose you have now, this is speculation.  Be sure you seek out a board certified plastic surgeon who has at least performed a few hundred rhinoplasties.