Can You Graft Fat to an Area That Has Internal Scarring Due to Liposuction?

I had too much liposuction to my buttocks and now want to have a Brazilian butt lift to correct the problem, but I've heard that it can be difficult to graft fat onto areas where you've had liposuction, because lipo causes internal scaring and this makes it difficult for grafted fat to find a blood supply there. Is this true?

Fat Grafting to Buttock to Correct Excess Liposuction

+2

Fat grafting is one of the best tools available to correct dimpling or areas that have had too much liposuction. Fat grafting to the buttock can be performed in your case. As mentioned, there will be scarring that will need to be released at the time of grafting. Depending on the extent of scarring you may need to undergo the fat grafting procedure more than once. From El Paso.

El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Fat injections can be done in areas that had liposuction

+1

Yes, there is collagen that forms after liposuction or any surgery and the procedure of doing fat injections will find more resistance when passing the needle in to implant the fat cells. There may be more fibrous bands and less blood flow to those areas, but there still is ample blood supply to have some of the fat cells live. In fact, many fat injections are done specificlally in the areas of fat atrophy that result from trauma with very good results.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Brazilian Butt enhancement

+1

Areas that have been liposuctioned will have a scar. The density and amount of scars depend on the technique.

However it can be done and can be successful. Scarred areas can have fat transfer by piercing through the scar and depositing fat at the same time.

Fat grafting is the answer

+1

The scarring from the previous liposuction is the technical challenge not the blood supply to the fat grafts. As the fat is being transferred, tethering scars must be divided to allow the skin to return to its desired position and achieve the proper contour.

Fat grafting is the best solution for over resection by liposuction.This is now a reconstructive procedure and may require more than one grafting session to achieve the final result.

Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon to assist you with this. Good luck.

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Fat Grafting after Liposuciton

+1

Yes, fat grafting is a great treatment for areas that have been over liposuctioned.  We often see patients that have traveled to other countries to have liposuction at reduce rates.  Then then return home and have problems such as divots, lumps, etc.  I often use a combination of microliposuction and fat grafting to help improve the contour of the areas.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Fat grafting for liposuction problems

+1

Liposuction to the buttock is rarely done in my practice for this reason- patients loose buttock projection and its difficult to fix that problem. Seek a board certified plastic surgeon with some experience in buttock fat grafting for the best result.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS