Can Gortex Strips Be Customized to Widen Temples?

Can gortex strips be customised to widen my temples and sides of forehead by 4mm as well as my jaw from my ear down by 4mm?

My face has gotten narrow from bone reabsorption and I would like to make it wide again. I don't want a mandible angle implant as such.

Use of Gortex for temporal augmentation

+1

I am not aware of using gortex implants for this purpose and would recommend against using it in this fashion. It would be difficult to obtain a smooth contour.

Gortex strips to widen temples not a good use

+1

Not a great use of Gortex for that area, temple hollow. Why not use fat grafts or longer lasting fillers like Radiesse, Perlane, Artefill, PMMA? Regards.

Gortex for hollow temples

+1

Gortex was designed for its ability to allow water to move in one direction. So it's excellent in foul weather clothing-as an implant, not so much. There are few non biologic materials that can be used in the face with success. These are limited to the implants that are placed against the bone for cheek, jaw, etc enhancement. Most of these work because they are fixed to bone and have adequate soft tissue coverage.

When placed in the face Gortex will encapsulate and can easily become infected, extrude, migrate or distort. It's an incredibly poor choice for volume enhancement. Proper fat grafting is a natural and effective way to correct your problem. When done correctly there is a high take rate and excellent volume correction.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Gortex implants not a good idea

+1

Gore-Tex would not be a good idea to place in the temporal area because you would be able to see them, and they can get infected.

Temple widening can be done by several methods.

+1

I have used Radiesse  as a great filler but lasts only 18 months. Also I have used the person's own tissue as a permanent graft to the areas mentioned good results, but this costs much more than injections.

Sculptra for Face that has Gotten Narrow from Bone Reabsorption

+1

Hi,

It sounds as if you would be an excellent candidate for Sculptra treatment.  I have not used Gortex strips for the temple or jaw line.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD