Does Gortex Show Immediate Healing Faster Than Rib Cartilage for Bridge Implants?

I'm 8 days post-op with using ib cartilage implants in my bridge and tip with a Asian rhinoplasty. Another Asian girl at the same healing day as me had Gortex for her bridge. Her nose already looks very natural with some light swelling. However, my nose looks monstrous and extremely swollen and fake. My bridge is so swollen it's convex, even though the doctor did not raise it too high. My bridge is also swollen in sections and bulbous. Does gortex heal faster than rib cartilage immediately?

Rib cartilage for dorsal augmentation Asian rhinoplasty

+1

In the immediate post-operative period, swelling may be somewhat less with a synthetic implant such as Gortex.  This is because there is less manipulation necessary to place a goretex implant.  You are still extremely early in your recovery, and your swelling will decrease rapidly in the next 3-6 months, though full healing can take up to 1-2 years.  

Gortex versus autologous cartilage for dorsal augmentation in Asian Rhinoplasty

+1

Rib cartilage for dorsal or nasal bridge augmentation will definitely swell up more than gortex, at least in the immediate post-operative period.  It may take a few weeks to a few months until the swelling improves visibly.  However, in the long run, there can be more longevity, less chances of infection or extrusion of the cartilage graft as this is your own tissue, versus gortex can be rejected, can be extruded and can even become infected.  Please be patient.  Often the final results from a rhinopalsty are seen after a year.  Taking arnica montana or bromolein can help as well, but check with your surgeon first.  Good Luck and take care.

Melinda Lirag Lacerna-Kimbrell, MD, FACS
Sarasota Plastic Surgeon