Goretex Verses Mersilene?

Gortex or Mersilene? Opinions of which is better? I read that mersilene looks more natural. Would 1 provide more exaggerated look than other? 1 surgeon asked if I was happy with how I look from the front view, which I think I am, just have a VERY weak profile, the other didn’t ask that. I have a little nose with full lips. 1 surgeon wanted to bring the implant to my lip line, the other thought that would be drastic. Ultimately, it seems U R in the drs hands 2 use his judgment of what looks “natural”.

Choice of Chin Implant Material less important than Surgeon

+1

The Choice of Surgeon more important than choice of implant is the most important

thing.That being said Goretex, Silicone or Med-por are more predictable than Mersilene. This is because Mersilene comes in fhe form of a soft mesh that is folded multiple times and potentially can be distorted during the healing process. It is also an off label FDA usage of this product.

Both conventional implant materials such as silicone, medpor  and gore tex are reasonable choices for chin implant surgery. Most important by far is the skill and expertise of the surgeon and not the material used. That would be the basis I would use to find the best surgeon. See below link for further tips on how to do this.

The Material is Not Key

+1

Whether it is Goretex, mersiline, silicone, Medpor or any other material, the key is that the surgeon has a goal in mind that you both agree on.  It's very important to not "over do it", particularly in respect to placing too large of an implant---you are right on when you think that the lip line is possibly too much, as for many women in particular, such a projection goal is potentially excessive.   Also, as you like how your chin looks from the front, it is important that the implant does not add too much on the side of the chin, rather having a nice taper from the front of the chin outwards.  This relatively basic procedure can be remarkably rewarding so good luck to you!

John Frodel, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant Material Compositions

+1

The most important thing to realize is that the material of a chin implant does not control whether it looks natural or not. That has no influence on the result at all. The important issues are implant size and shape, how well it is placed, and how it fits into the overall face. Too much emphasis is placed on what an implant is made of. Surgeon's certainly have their preferences but that is reflective of what works well in their hands rather than some magical property of the implant.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD