Goretex Sheets Vs Goretex Blocks for Rhinoplasty?

Hello Doctors! Between goretex sheets and goretex blocks, which one do you prefer the most? Why? Your responses would be a huge help and would be greatly appreciated.

Gortex in the nose

+3

We have never placed gortex in the nose. We have removed several  infected gortex implants that were placed in the nose from other offices. It is always best to use patient's own cartilage rather than synthetic implants

Which is better: Goretex sheeting or Goretex blocks for rhinoplasty?

+3

My recommendation would be to avoid any alloplastic materials in the nose.  That would inlcude expanded polytetrafluoroethylene (Goretex), silastic or porous polyethylene (Medpor).  Instead, search out a surgeon who is experienced using autografts (tissue taken from elsewhere in your body and transferred to the nose).

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS, FRCSC.

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

+2

Neither, I don't use or recommend the use of Gore tex for grafting in Rhinoplasty as I believe that it can and does become infected for no apparent reason years after the surgery.  For tip grafts, I prefer conchal cartilage and for dorsal grafts I prefer straight silastic dorsal implants.  I believe that each of these are the "gold standard" for their prospective areas in the nose.  Other Rhinoplasty Surgeons may have other opinions but I base mine on over 25 years of performing Rhinoplasty and Revision Rhinoplasty.

Gortex in Rhinoplasty Surgery

+2

Over the past 35 years I've always preferred the use of the patient's own tissue rather than synthetics like Gortex. As we have said in previous communications, I recommend that you wait at least a year after your previous operation before considering any revisions.

Implants in the Nose

+2

Foreign materials in the nose may present issues such as infection, extrusion, and migration.  If you are considering augmentation or stabilization, autologous material may be a better choice.

Gortex in the nose

+2

I am not a fan of gortex for the nose. I prefer autologous tissue for augmentation. Good luck with your choice.

Avoid synthetic nasal implants if possible

+2

There are plenty of sources for dorsal nasal grafts, including cartilage from the ear, nose and even the rib. In the case of rhinoplasty, its best to avoid implantation of a synthetic material when other autologous sources are available.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Goretex for Rhinoplasty

+2

I know you've heard the consensus: foreign bodies in the nose don't always do so well, especially in the long run.  Having said that, silastic rubber implants for augmentation of the bridge has the best track record, but only in noses that have never been operated on before.  No implants do well in augmenting the tip. If this is a reoperation, it is best to use your own cartilage, which might mean using a small piece of ear or rib.  

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Gortex for rhinoplasty

+2

It would be unusual for me to recommend goretex for a rhinoplasty procedure. Foreign material can warp with excess scarring, can get infected, and can extrude (work its way out of the skin).  The best materials are your own tissues.  Is there a problem with your ear, nose, or rib cartilages?

Hard to comment without pictures.

Be sure to consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who can show you a comprehensive portfolio of pre- and post-op pictures.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

GoreTex for rhinoplasty

+2

I would agree that the best option in rhinoplasty is always to use your own tissue.  If for some reason I were to use GoreTex, the choice between sheets and blocks would be made dependent on the individual case.  The sheets are thinner and would be used for finer augmentation, whereas the blocks generally would be used for greater augmentation and would need to be carved.  Personally, I would not really see a need to use blocks for the nose as normally that amount of augmentation is rarely needed.    

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon