Can Gore-Tex Nasal Implant Be Shaved Down?

Hello, I have had two previous rhinoplasties and the second time 5 years ago my Dr used a gore tex implant to build my dorsum, but it is too big. Is there a simple way to revise a goretex implant, like maybe without removing the whole implant?

would revising the implant be most likely an open or closed procedure, and are they any major complications from implant revision, and about how much would it cost to revise the implant? thanks a lot for all your help, it is greatly appreciated.

Rhinoplasty and Gortex implant

+3

I would suggest actually having the implant removed and replaced with a new, smaller one. Although the current implant could technically be shaved down, because it is a foreign object it's always my preference to replace it with a new one to decrease the risk of infection. Some surgeons have preferences regarding open or closed techniques, but most surgeons could do this through a closed technique. Regarding cost, this will vary depending upon where you have the surgery done, but I would expect to pay upwards of $7000. Best wishes.

Revision rhinoplasty with Gore-Tex implant

+2

No, Gore-Tex implants are not shaved down in the nose. They are simply removed. You run the risk of getting the implant infected by altering it again with a surgical procedure. Removing the implant can be done under a closed rhinoplasty. Additional discussions should be entertained regarding placing natural cartilage in the nose to augment the bridge or a silastic implant. A revision rhinoplasty procedure in the Seattle area costs approximately $7,000.00, which includes the operating room, the anesthesia, and the surgeon’s fee. This can take usually a couple of hours of surgery to perform this difficult revision rhinoplasty surgery.

Removal of Gortex Implants

+2

Hi Bruce,

Removing a Gortex implant after several years can be quite a challenge. The surrounding tissue grows into the implant making the implant adhered and tethered. I would recommend an open approach to make sure that all the necessary gortex is removed. If a small piece of gortex is NOT removed, I believe there is a higher probability of infection.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Revision of secondary rhinoplasaty implant

+2

My advice to you is to be absolutely sure that you can not live with the current situation.

It gets harder and hardeder to get a good result with each rhinoplasty. You have a foreign material in place to boot.

If you can't stand the appearance, you will be looking at an open rhinoplasty, and thje implant may or may not be able to be used again. It may or may not be able to be sculpted without removal.

You will face significant risks.

Rather than costs, I would focus on finding a VERY experienced rhinoplasty surgeon who can assess this with you.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Revision rhinoplasy (nose job) with gortex nasal implant

+2

The simplest solution would be to discuss your concerns with the surgeon who performed the gortex implant. These come in a multitude in shapes and sizes and thicknesses. Most likely, you would need to replace the impant if it is too thick. If it is too wide, it can be trimmed or if it is layered, the layers can be decreased. The procedure could be poerformed via a closed approach. Fees will vary based on time, facility, anesthesia and implant costs.

Nasal revision for Goretex implant.

+1

A revision rhinoplasty, using the closed method would be my first choice. Part of the implant can be removed. You could have an infection, asymmetry, etc, but not usually. The cost varies from $7500-$10,000. See an experienced rhinoplasty revisiion surgeon.

Fixing a Nasal Goretex Implant

+1

A nasal gortex implant cannot be easily shaved while in place in the nose. It has to be removed. Once taken out of the nose, it can be shaved to the desired volume and put back in the nose. The charges vary but it will qualify as a revision rhinoplasty and could cost between $3500 to $8000 depending on the surgeon and your geographical location.

Regards

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhibnoplasty to revise a Gortex Implant can be done with a Clsoed Rhinoplasty

+1

If all that you desire is t reduce the size of a gortex dorsal nasal implant it can be accomplished through a closed rhinoplasty. This will give access to remove the implant and then the implant can be reshaped usually by carving it like you would whittle a stick and replacing it once appropriately shaped.

Andrew Jacono, MD