Can I Have my Goretex Lip Implant Removed?

I had gore-tex implant put in my upper lip 6 years ago. I'd like to have it removed. Will most certified, reputable plastic surgeons be able to do this, or is it difficult to preform? Will I need general anesthesia? Any frame for the cost and recovery time?

Some permanent (Gore-Tex) lip implants can be removed

+2

There are several types of Gore-tex (PTFE) implants that have been used for lip augmentation. The original form was a more firm implant that came as a series of strands of several millimeters thick. They were either put in as a single strand or two just under the vermilion-cutaneous border of the lip or the entire set of strands was inserted deeper into the lip. Either way, this type of implant is difficult to remove and can be very destructive to do so. The more contemporary form is a softer spongy tube known as Advanta. These are fairly easy to remove as they slide out of a surrounding capsule.

Removing lip implants

+1

Goretex implants on the lips can be removed if they have not incorporated scar tissue around the actual implants.  Schedule an appointment to evaluate your lips and determine the risks. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Goretex implants can be removed and you can reenhance your lips with a number of options

+1

you can remove goretex implants and then have your lips reenhanced. Another implant is a possibility but you might want to try fat injections, fillers, or the  youngvolumizer. Below is a video on silicone lip augmentation that you can watch to learn. But don't worry this situation can be improved by a good facial plastic surgeon.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Goretex lip implants

+1

Sometimes they can be easily removed and other times it may be more difficult. You should go for a consult to evaluate this.