Can I Have my Goretex Lip Implant Removed?

I had gore-tex implant put in my upper lip 6 years ago. I'd like to have it removed. Will most certified, reputable plastic surgeons be able to do this, or is it difficult to preform? Will I need general anesthesia? Any frame for the cost and recovery time?

Some permanent (Gore-Tex) lip implants can be removed

There are several types of Gore-tex (PTFE) implants that have been used for lip augmentation. The original form was a more firm implant that came as a series of strands of several millimeters thick. They were either put in as a single strand or two just under the vermilion-cutaneous border of the lip or the entire set of strands was inserted deeper into the lip. Either way, this type of implant is difficult to remove and can be very destructive to do so. The more contemporary form is a softer spongy tube known as Advanta. These are fairly easy to remove as they slide out of a surrounding capsule.

Indiana University Health North Hospital
Carmel, IN 46032

Can a Goretex Lip Implant be Removed?

Thank you for your question. Gore-tex implants are composed of a material (ePTFE) which allows some degree of tissue in-growth, which stabilizes the implant but also makes this implant type more difficult to remove. Consider consultation with a board-certified facial surgeon to learn more about what this may entail in your case.

James M. Pearson, MD

9735 Wilshire Blvd
Beverly Hills, CA 90212

Removing lip implants

Goretex implants on the lips can be removed if they have not incorporated scar tissue around the actual implants.  Schedule an appointment to evaluate your lips and determine the risks. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

804 7th Street
Santa Monica, CA 90403

Goretex lip implants

Sometimes they can be easily removed and other times it may be more difficult. You should go for a consult to evaluate this.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Goretex implants can be removed and you can reenhance your lips with a number of options

you can remove goretex implants and then have your lips reenhanced. Another implant is a possibility but you might want to try fat injections, fillers, or the  youngvolumizer. But don't worry this situation can be improved by a good facial plastic surgeon.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

1810 116th Ave. NE
Bellevue, WA 98004