How Good Does It Work a Lip Lowering for Gummy Smile? is Better Than a Maxillary Surgery?

I'm a 24 year old woman, I've been looking for the best procedure to correct my gummy smile, I think my teeth are big enough so maybe a laser procedure can reshape my gum line though. As you can see in my pictures I don't only have gummy smile, I also have a asymmetric bite. I've been searching for the lip lowering procedure but I don't know if it's the best solution for a case like me, I know there's also they the maxillary surgery, but I consider it's very extreme.

+1

Aggressive incision and partial excisionof the muscle of the upper part of the lip at the gum junction will achieved a long term result but will lead to static upper lip.

Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Gummy smile correction

+1

In my experience an intraoral repositioning of the upper lip is the least invasive and most beneficial in correction of the "gummy smile" problem. Combining repositioning with myotomy of the lip levator muscles works well. Use of botox for this purpose I would discourage because assymetry of expression is not uncommon with such injection and could be problematic.

Julian Henley, MD
Greeley Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox can lower the lip for gummy smile.

+1

Botox can also lower your lip and correct the gummy smile. It is such a simple correction that it would be worth a try before you go to surgery. My patients have all been amazed that I could correct their gummy smile so easily. It doesn't take much, usually less than 10 units and only a short time. If it doesn't give you enough correction and you still need help with your bite, then proceed with surgery.

Heather Haley, MD
Mobile Dermatologic Surgeon

Gummy smile correction

+1
An intraoral lip lowering procedure (excising a strip of the gum at the top where it meets the lip) works best to correct your problem.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox can help gummy smile

+1

Before proceeding to surgery, consider botox in the upper lip.  A small amount (4-8 units) can lengthen the upper lip, reducing the amount of gum that shows when you smile.  This is a temporary (and relatively inexpensive and noninvasive) solution.

Melissa Chiang, MD
Houston Dermatologist