Will I Have Good Tummy Tuck Results if Not at Desired Weight?

I am 30 yr old female 5ft 2 in. 150lbs. I have had 2 c-section and have severe seperation in my abdominal muscles. I have a scheduled abdominoplasty in 2 months and have been trying everything short of starving myself to lose at least 15 pounds to no avail. Im worried that my results wont be ideal if i dont lose the weight.

Tummy tuck if not at ideal weight

+4

Best result will be obtained if you are at your most ideal weight. Please consider increasing your metabolism through exercises and controlled portions. Do not starve yourself. If you loose even 10 lbs it can give you a better result. Good Luck

Dr Sajjadian

Satisfaction with tummy tuck surgery depends on your goals

+3

Your happiness or satisfaction depends on your goals. If seeking weight loss through tummy tuck, you iwll surely be disappointed, If you are seeking reduciton of redundant skin or an improvement in a tethered C-section scar you may be very pleased with the outocme.

Don't Starve Yourself

+3

Anon,

I agree with the do not starve yourself comments.  Not only will you put yourself into a malnourished state and increase your risks for healing problems and infection, you may not be able to maintain the weight loss over time.  You should lose the weight slowly and be sure you can maintain it for a few months before undergoing surgery.  Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Tummy tuck works even if you are somewhat overweight.

+3

Hi.

Do not starve yourself.  You should do fine.  Afterwards, you will still be somewhat overweight, but you will have a flat stomach.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Weight at time of Tummy Tuck

+3

I agree that you usually obtain your best result if you are at your ideal weight at the time of your TT.  However, if you have been unable to lose weight, you should still be able to get a nice result at your current height and weight.  Good luck!

John Whitt, MD

You do not need to lose weight

+3

Please keep your weight stable. If you lose weight for the surgery and then gain it back, you will get suboptimal result. The ideal weight is different for each person and the most important is the stable weight.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck is best when your weight is "normal"

+2

The most ideal situation to have a tummy tuck is when your weight is in a healthy range.  It is hard to know what weight you can obtain and hold until you try.  I tell my patients that they can not always achieve the ideal body weight but they should try to get to a normal and healthy living weight; at this point you can have a tummy tuck and maintain a nice result.  Your BMI is 27 and this is not bad but below 25 is considered a healthier status.  If you can loose that last 15 pounds it would be great but don't feel defeated if you can't.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck plus liposuction may help if you're not ideal weight

+1

Thank you for your question. A photograph would help answer your question.

That said, if you are closely her ideal weight then a combination of liposuction and tummy tuck may give you a satisfactory result. Be sure to followthe advice of your plastic surgeon.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Losing weight before tummy tuck

+1

The closer you are to your ideal body weight, the better your tummy tuck results will be. However, it's never a good idea to use crash diets or extreme measures to lose weight. It's best to lead a healthy lifestyle which includes daily exercise and healthy food choices with lots of fresh vegetables, fruits, and lean meats.  Drink lots of water and avoid high calorie drinks, coffees, etc.

I hope that helps and wish you all the best!

James Knoetgen, III, MD
Fresno Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Results if Not at Desired Weight

+1

Ideally, the patient should be at the long term stable weight. If the patient is close to their target weight then there will not be significant impact on the results if the patient loses this weight in the future. If the patient is significantly above the target weight, then there could be greater potential for complications, lower satisfaction with the results, and greater probability of revision.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS