Is It Good to Do Tummy Tuck & Liposuction at the Same Time?

i am a 35 years old mum, i have 2 kids 2 & 3 years old. after pregnancy i couldn't lose all the weight i gained and most of the fat is in my belly.please need to know if it's fine to do tummy tuck & lipo together. and as long as i will travel after 3 weeks from the day of the surgery, i need please to know if i will be ok to travel with my kids. also need to know if there will be too much pain after the surgery and if i can stand up properly. thank you in advance

Liposuction During Tummy Tuck Must Not Be Aggressive

+3

Thank you for your question. It is a very important question. First it is important to lose as much weight as possible prior to your tummy tuck for the best result. Liposuction cannot compensate for being overweight prior to a tummy tuck.

If however you are near your ideal weight and simply have a small amount of excess fat on your tummy and flank region, then careful judicious liposuction can be done at the same time as your tummy tuck. Extensive liposuction to remove a significant excess amount of fat during a tummy tuck should not be attempted.

Be sure to consult a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, is experienced in liposuction and tummy tuck surgery, and has an excellent reputation in your community. Be sure to specifically discuss the issue of whether liposuction can be done at the same time as your tummy Ttuck. It will be best if you lose enough weight to be close to your ideal weight before your tummy tuck procedure.

Can I do a TT and lipo at the same time?

+1

For a TT, you should be as close to your goal weight as possible that is realistic for you to maintain.  Most patients do liposuction to their flanks/hips at the same time as their TT for contouring but you want to avoid or do very little to the abdominal area/stomach to preserve the blood supply.  Most patients are standing up straight at 3 weeks and most are gradually getting back to their daily routine at that point but traveling with 2 little kids may be difficult, lifting and sitting for long periods of time need to be avoided.  Depending on your weight, you may (slight chance) still have drains in so the best bet is to have an in office consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.  There is really no way to tell you how you will react and recover from surgery, but you can get a better idea with an actual consultation.  ac

Angela Champion, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck and Liposuction done simultaneously

+1

I commonly combine a tummy tuck with liposuction to the flanks (love handle area).  It is usually safe to also perform liposuction to other areas such as the thighs at the same time.  However, very limited if any liposuction should be done to the abdominal skin and fat that is freed up during the tummy tuck.  Typically, this is the area around and above the umbilicus. 

You should be able to stand up properly after three weeks.  I have found that pain tolerance varies widely from individual to individual.  After three weeks, many patients are ok to travel as long as heavy lifting of suitcases etc. can be avoided.  I would suggest you speak to your plastic surgeon about this. 

Laurence Weider, MD

Tummy Tuck and Liposuction

+1

Generally speaking, a tummy tuck and liposuction very often go hand in hand.  Few women elect abdominoplasty after pregnancy without choosing a little liposuction of the tummy as well.

I do have a few cautions for you, however.  The goal of a tummy tuck plus liposuction is tightening and resculpting, not weight loss.  You will shed a few pounds of skin and fat during the procedure, but if you still need to lose weight after pregnancy, plastic surgery is not the way to do it.  This is particularly true if the extra weight you're carrying is inside the abdominal cavity (rather than under the skin).  Liposuction can't touch this kind of fat.

And the timeframe for your travel could be a concern also.  If you are traveling with another adult who is supportive, there might be no problem.  If you're on your own with the kids, the need to lift, move around and the stress of travel might be a bit much.  You should be feeling pretty good overall about three weeks after your procedure, but undertaking a demanding journey may not be the best idea.

These are questions you should be asking your plastic surgeon.  Choose your doctor wisely, then listen carefully and follow their advice.

Elliot Jacobs, M.D.

Elliot W. Jacobs, MD

+1

A tummy tuck with liposuction of the flanks and back can be performed safely in most patients.  Liposuction should be limited or avoided completely over the area in which the tummy tuck is dissected.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks and liposuction procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

+1

There is not enough info to answer this. Photos would be helpful, and an idea of height and weight, and the areas that liposuction are being considered. 

Certainly for most patients liposuction in other areas (flanks, hips, thighs) would not likely be an issue unless large volumes are being considered for removal. The issue comes if liposuction is being done in the area that is having open surgery, and that does have some elevated risks. 

Pain varies considerably from patient to patient, but most are functional by 3 weeks. Most are standing erect by that time. All these questions will better be answered by your own surgeon. All the best.