Which is a Good Implant Size for Me?

30 years old. 3 children and 5'6 140lbs. getting a breast lift with implant. Wondering if i should get 550cc or 600cc.

Sizing breast implants

+1

I would agree with others that you are a setup for complications and problems with a combined mastopexy and breast implants, particularly of that size. 

The proper way to size implants is to make sure they fit you and know what effect they will have in terms of cup size increase from what you're starting with. This is done by matching the diameter of the implant to the diameter of your breast (after subtracting for two layers of skin) and then choosing the forward projection (profile) and then finding out how many cc's that it rather than starting with a choice of cc's (like choosing a dress or shoe size) and working backwards. 

There are numerous problems with combining lifts with augmentation. One is that a properly lifted breast will look bigger even if it doesn't actually get bigger and this makes it harder to judge the effect of an implant. Another is that the forward push of the implant works against the tuck and incisions of the lift such that a smaller implant generally does better than a larger one. Some breasts don't actually need a lift and can get a lift effect from a properly sized and positioned implant (although the implant doesn't actually lift the breast up and it can't be too low and still get an implant positioned behind the nipple-areola). A lift, properly done, moves the nipple-areola and breast up on the chest but doesn't give it forward projection or specifically fill in the upper pole. If breast size is reasonable and the breast is too low for an augmentation, it is often better to do the lift first and then see if an implant is still needed. 

Denver Plastic Surgeon

The one you like

+1

The best way to decide which implant is good for you, is trying several sizers. Your board certified plastic surgeon should be able to discuss the pros and cons of your choice. In my book it does not matter what implant will fit your body best but, which implant your eyes and brain like.

Good luck

Victor M. Perez, MD, FACS
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Unable to answer question

+1

It is impossible to answer your question without knowing key information like, what is your current cup size, what is your ideal cup size, what are your breast measurements.  Please make sure your PS fully understands your expectations and what you are looking for as a final outcome.

Renato Saltz, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Which implant size is Good for Me?

+1

Without actually examining you it is impossible to tell you if  the implant sizes you identified will be appopriate for you. There are too many variables to take into consideration, and it gets even more complicated when you add in a lift. The implant sizes you mentioned are reasonably large, and unless you are having a more limited type of lift procedure, it can be problematic to use larger implant while having a lift at the same time. The operations tend to work against each other. The lift procedure is raising the position of you nipple and breast tissue while tightening your skin. The implant on the other hand is stretching out your skin. The two are not always compatible. If you wish to have a larger implant then you should do your surgery in stages. First have the lift. You can then come back several months later and have a much greater choice of implant sizes. 

Braden Stridde, MD
Federal Way Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Sizing

+1

The information you have provided is completely inadequate to answer your question. Without photographs and breast measurements, there is no way to give any reasonable answer. This is particularly true when one has ptosis and a simultaneous breast lift is going to be done. The differences between 550cc and 600cc is not significant enough to make much of a difference. The real question, which unfortunately can not be answered, is are these sizes in the proper range for you.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

When combined with a breast lift, smaller implants work better

+1

When combined with a breast lift, smaller implants do better. This is because the weight of large implants will work against your breast lift, resulting in recurrent drooping. Also, larger implants have a higher incident of complications such as rippling, palpability, and chest wall distortion. A combined breat lift and augmentation can be a very difficult surgery and should only be done by experienced board certified plastic surgeons.

Matthew Schulman, MD

Breast Implant Size

+1

I agree with my noted colleagues. Extremely large breast implants can cause the risks or rates of complications to increase dramatically. Risks such as capsular contracture, bleeding, scarring, rippling, and implant malposition and possible exposure and extrusion, though present with any augmentation, are increased several fold with larger implants. One must also think about the thinning of native breast tissue with such pressure applied to the chest. The only way to know what the right size is, though, is to go for a formal consultation with a Board-certified plastic surgeon. He/she can discuss all the relevant issues to arrive at the optimal solution to your problems. Good luck and fare well.

Daniel Kaufman, MD

Be Cautious With Large Implants

+1

I agree with Dr. Beraka that very large implants are best avoided.  I feel that these large implants are associated with a significantly increased chance for problems, including malposition, visible implant edges, capsular contracture, and "fake look".  The fact that you are having a concurrent lift increases the chance for these problems.

John Whitt, MD

600 cc breast implants are too big for almost any woman.

+1

Hi.

Just to give you an idea, in our practice we don't use implants larger than 500 cc's, because huge implants stretch your tissues, have more complications, and age very badly.  For you, I would guess 400 cc's, but that is just a guess.  There is a real system for picking the right implant.  Good luck!

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Implant choices

+1

The only way to determine what sixe implant is best for you is to perform an exam and disucss your goals.  I sugget you go for a consultation.