Can a Good Rhinoplasty Be Done by a General Plastic Surgeon?

I've always heard that for a rhinoplasty that you need to go to a rhinoplasty specialist or facial cosmetic surgeon. I found a surgeon that is a general plastic surgeon, board certified, that has done hundreds of noses. I looked at his profile and like the results.

Rhinoplasty Surgeon

+1

Excellent rhinoplasty surgeon can be general plastic surgeons or facial plastic surgeons. The surgeon you choose should be an experienced and expert surgeon with a passion for rhinoplasty and the understanding of your objectives/needs.

Many general plastic surgeons are capable of delivering great rhinoplasties.

+1

Dear Auburn5273;

The most important factor in the success of a surgeon, whether he is a general plastic surgeon or a facial plastic surgeon, is their devotion to, experience with, and demonstrated talent for rhinoplasty.  Typically, the most accomplished rhinoplasty surgeons are those who “major” in rhinoplasty; noses are a major, if not predominant, portion of their practice, and that their passion lies with that procedure.

If the surgeon you have consulted is of that group, you are happy with the before-and-after photographs that you have seen, and you are comfortable with the surgeon and his staff, by all means proceed.  Remember, it is the training, experience, and talent that count more than the particular fraternity that the surgeon belongs to.

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS
Facial Plastic Surgeon
Author, SECRETS OF A BEVERLY HILLS COSMETIC SURGEON
Author, THE ESSENTIAL COSMETIC SURGERY COMPANION

Robert Kotler, MD

Rhinoplasty by a general plastic surgeon

+1

Of course. Both general and facial plastic surgeons are well qualified and if you saw one with an interest in rhinoplasty and like his work then feel confident in using him. (Some of the most noted rhinoplasty surgeons in the world are general plastic surgeons).

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Of course, the truth is that Facial Plastic Surgeons, General Plastic Surgeons and well trained Cosmetic Surgeons are all capable of performing Rhinoplasty.  I have performed Rhinoplasty, for over 20 years, and IMHO the aesthetic judgement, of the plastic and cosmetic surgeon is what separates the very best from the rest.  The most technically gifted surgeon using the wrong aesthetic judgement can not acheive the desired aesthetic result.  

Who is qualified to do a rhinoplasty?

+1

Here is my opinion on the matter.  What a surgeon refers to themselves and to the public ( facial plastic surgeon, plastic surgeon, cosmetic surgeon) is related to their formal training.  Facial Plastic Surgeons have Otolaryngology training  and General Plastic Surgeons have General Surgery training . Cosmetic Surgeons can be Dermatologists,  Oral Surgeons,  Gynecologists,   in fact, just about anyone can call themselves a cosmetic surgeon.   That being said, formal training does not guarantee results.  When it comes to rhinoplasty, you need a surgeon that is most  of all, dedicated to this complex operation wherein they perform many such operations on a yearly basis and have dozes of photos to show you of their surgical results.  If you are pleased with this surgeon and you like their post operative results, then you've chosen the correct one.  

Philip Miller, MD

Right Surgeon for Rhinoplasty

+1

A Board Certified plastic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon who is experienced in nose surgery is a reasonable place to start when considering rhinoplasty. If your surgeon has done 100s of cases and you like his results, then chances are he is skilled to do the procedure. Regardless of who does the surgery, keep in mind that the revision rates are 5 to 15% and you should discuss this with your surgeon.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Who Should do Rhinoplasty?

+1

There are several disciplines that certify surgeons who do rhinoplasty surgery. Although certification is important, with this operation , which is arguably one of the most difficult we do, select  a surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasties. I don't want a surgeon who does mostly facelifts or breast augmentations dong my nasal surgery. If you like the results of a surgeon who does a lot of rhinoplasty work, consult with him.

Choosing A Rhinoplasty Surgeon

+1

Training and experience are the key to any successful plastic surgery outcome and rhinoplasty is no exception. Regardless of the type of plastic surgeon, what counts is their frequency of performing the procedure and the emphasis that they place on it in their practice. Your research should try and make those determinations before you go forward with the next step of an actual consultation.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Plastic surgeon and rhinoplasty

+1

I think you jsut answered your own question.  A board certified plastic surgeon is usually well trained to perform rhinoplasty well.  You mentioned that you have seen his results and they are excellent.

Rhinoplasty by General Plastic Surgeon

+1

A surgeons skills to perform rhinoplasty does not depend on his/her gender, nationality, medical school; even board certification is a poor qualifier to find the "right" surgeon.

In the US, most rhinoplasties are performed by facial plastic surgeons, otolaryngologists and general plastic surgeons. There are some facial plastic surgeons who virtually never perform rhinoplasty. Similarly, many general plastic surgeons specialize in body plastic surgery or hand surgery but do not perform rhinoplasties. Once a few years have passed for a plastic surgeon without performing a challenging procedure such as rhinoplasty, most like this surgeon will have lost some of the skill that only comes with continued practice in this surgical art form.

It sounds like your general plastic surgeon regularly performs rhinoplasties. If you feel comfortable with your surgeon and the surgical plan designed for you, you should be in good hands.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon