Will I Get Good Results from a TT Even Though I Am So Thin? (photo)

A TON of the before and afters are of women who are not very thin, it looks amazing because they are such a dramatic difference. I am 115 pounds and 5'5. I have gained and lost 80 pounds with pregnancies. I have been to two consults and they say I need a small vertical scar. I have stretch marks above the belly button so I know I cant the exact result I hoped for which was smooth mark free skin. I am hoping for a flat, very toned looking tummy. From my pics do you think this is possible?

A full TT provides maximal muscle and skin tightness.

+2

A full Tummy Tuck will give you the best opportunity for firm abdominal musculature with minimal skin redundancy. There is no substitute. Hopefully, the resultant scar can be positioned low enough to be hidden within the bottom half of a two piece bathing suit. If a vertical component is in fact necessary this may extend above the suit negating some the benefits of the full TT. You might also consider a mini or modified TT that removes only your lower skin excess  but guarantees a low and short scar that is easily hidden in a two piece suit.

There is typically no need for a vertical scar after a tummy tuck. Major reduction in stretch marks.

+2

First of all, you are a great candidate for a tummy tuck.  All the stretch marks below your belly button will be gone of course and the remaining ones will be moved down.  You are at ideal body weight and can expect a flat tummy afterward, witht he muscle repair, and no loose skin.  The vertical scar tends to be unsightly.  It is possible to keep the scar low down within your bikini line and avoid a vertical scar.  This involves flexing the operating table in surgery and using deep anchoring sutures.  Have a look at my website if you like, particular some of the thinner patients (N.M., C.B) with stretch marks and you can get an idea of what to expect.  Be sure you are happy with your surgeon's results in viewing before and after photos.  That is a good indicator as to whether you will be pleased as well.

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

“Thin” Patient Candidate for Tummy Tuck?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Yes, I think you will be an excellent candidate for tummy tuck surgery. As you know, this operation will serve to remove the “excess” skin of the lower abdominal wall and help improve the contour of the abdominal wall significantly. The muscles  that have spread with pregnancies and/or weight gain will be re- approximated.

Given your  body type, I can understand why the vertical scar was mentioned during the consultations.

I would suggest that you select your plastic surgeon carefully. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

Full tummy tuck would provide a very nice result

+2

Thank you for the question and photos.  The main component of a tummy tuck is to remove excess skin laxity which your photos also show that you have.  You may need a small vertical incision to close your prior belly button location but this will be a negligible scar if needed.  I think you would still benefit from some liposuction of the flanks to feather in the tummy tuck result as well as abdominal wall tightening.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Tummy tuck for thin people

+2

Normal weight people with loose extra abdominal skin are the best candidates for tummy tuck. You don't have to have a vertical scar, but your surgeon will be able to get things tighter by adding the vertical scar.

Armin Moshyedi, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck in a thin patient

+2

Thank you for your question and pictures.  Based on your photos, it appears that you would be an excellent candidate for a tummy tuck.  It looks like you will get a very flat tummy but will be left with some stretch marks.  You probably will have a small vertical scar because the distance from your belly button to your lower abdominal scar is long and the skin from the upper abdomen won't stretch that far.  Good luck!

Naveen Setty, MD, FACS

Thin and having a tummy tuck

+2

You look like you will have a great result.  Whether or not you need the vertical scar is not absolute.  It is very important that it was explained to you that a vertical scar is possible.  Most thin patients with excess skin get a great result and a flat belly with a tight waist line. Good Luck

Neil Gottlieb, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

TT in slender patient

+2

You should expect a nice result. The reason that a vertical scar may be needed is that the skin from the sternum to the navel will not reach all the way down to the lower TT scar, and hole made around the original navel would need to be closed in the lower position.

That is probably the best option, but without being able to see the upper abdomen on the photos, I couldn't exclude alternatives: 

• leaving the upper abdomen alone if it is not loose
  • lowering the navel a small amount which could take out a small amount of upper laxity. 

The trade-off for these would be no vertical incision and nor incision around the navel.

Thanks for your question, and best wishes.

A Tummy Tuck Would Help You

+1
Thank you for the photos. A full tummy tuck would probably be your best option to remove the loose skin and fat you may have. To a certain extent, your stretch marks may also be addressed, however, not all will be removed. You may want to consider a nonsurgical treatment to minimize the appearance of your stretch marks, such as micro needling.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Will I Get Good Results from a TT Even Though I Am So Thin?

+1

Your profile looks better than the front, but the front looks like a good indications of TT, to treat skin, fat, and the muscle if it is necessary.  

Maria Cristina Picon, MD
Argentina Plastic Surgeon