Would I Have Good Results at my Current Weight for Full Tummy Tuck?

I posted before here, but I wasn't clear in my statement. I'm 5'2, 185lbs & have been stable at this wt for a couple months. Have lost 40lbs since last yr, no more kids, have 2 csection scars & a huge appendectomy scar. I feel my current wt has been easily maintainable for me & I am HAPPY where I am, just dont want this huge hanging belly anymore.

Will I have good results (not skinny perfect body) but GOOD results w/ flat stomach w/a FTT & Lipo of my love handles? SX is on 4/22. Will I be smaller?

Can an abdominoplasty give a good result in an overweight person?

+6

Thank you for your photos. You state that you are 5'2" tall and weigh 185lbs. This makes your BMI 34, which is in the overweight range. You are not an ideal candidate for a tummy tuck, but you will get good results with extensive liposuction of the whole back, upper abdomen, full tummy tuck. This operation also rejuvenates the pubic area. One thing to note is, if you are lying on your back, does your abdomen go flat? If it does, you will have a flat abdomen after your surgery. If not, it tells me that you have significant intraabdominal fat which would prevent a flat abdomen. Good luck with your surgery.

Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Am I a good candidate for a Tummy Tuck procedure?

+2

You are not an ideal candidate, but it seems that you are aware of that by what you wrote in your post.  You can still get an acceptable and nice result with a full length tummy tuck and aggressive liposuction of your flanks.  The best part is that you will get rid of the overhanging skin and large appy scar while tightening your whole abdomen.  Understand that you will still have some moderate fullness in the area above your belly button after surgery, but you can deal with this later after you have healed for several months.  At that time, you could have additional liposuction performed to the upper abdomen and sides to get even better results.  Many people like yourself feel so much more confident with themselves after surgery that they continue to loose more weight by working out.  If that happens, you may not need anything additional at all!!  Good luck with your surgery.

Erez Sternberg, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck results in an Overweight Patient Can be "Good"

+2

Your brief "history" and "exam" (photos) indicate you are not an "ideal" candidate for tummy tuck, but you may be a "good" or "acceptable" candidate. The likelihood of a "good result" is based on multiple factors:  It is imperative you follow pre-op instructions carefully, for example, be sure you get the necessary pre-op studies to confirm you are "medically healthy" to undergo the procedure, including medical clearance from your PCP... and presumably you do not smoke. Presumably  the surgeon will perform this surgery to the best of  his/her ability, i.e., you did your homework on surgeon selection. It is imperative you follow your surgeon's post-op regiment to a tee....he/she may have done a snap job, but if you stand up straight the first night, your abdominal wound may either separate or the edges could "die".  Another factor is one that we may have no control over....you may have followed the pre-and post op regimen perfectly, the surgeon has done everything perfectly, but "it" happens.  In those cases, the important thing is to recognize and treat appropriately the complication, should something unexpectedly occur. Finally, realistic expectations are the key to satisfaction.....based on your photos, 3 things will be improved....the skin excess including the visible scar(area from the pubic bone to just above the bellybutton) should be removed and the upper abdominal tissue will be pulled down, appearing tight;  the fat beneath the skin just mentioned will be removed as well, and the remaining fat will be "thinned" when pulled down (note:don't liposuction this area or you run the risk of increased vascular compromise), and finally, the muscles underneath will be tightened, also providing a flatter abdominal appearance. Be aware, the intra-abdominal contents will NOT be improved, and with your weight, undoubtedly you have some extra fatty tissue here which will remain behind. This is why you will not be "svelte", rather more likely an "apple".  But based you your comments, it sounds as though you know you will not be a "model", so I assume your expectations are realistic.  I have a motto in my office:  An educated patient is a happy patient.  Patients of mine that have similar findings as you are typically happy because I have fully discussed those issues noted above!  Hopefully you will be happy too!

Jana K. Rasmussen, MD

Expected results from a tummy tuck with a high BMI

+2

Of course we would like all of our patients to be optimally fit.

I usually advise patients to implement whatever diet and exercise measures they can sustain, and lose weight that way, and schedule surgery when they have stabilized.

Eventually, patients reach a stable weight and that's that.

I think you are likely to have a fantastic result from your tummy tuck.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Good results from tummy tuck

+2

You will have a good result from tummy tuck if good is good enough. Tummy tuck will remove the pannus or hanging skin, though it is very unlikely that your stomach will be flat. To get a idea of how flat things will be check the contour of your abdomen when you are on your back. If the abdomen is still prominent or convex the tummy tuck cannot get it any flatter. Consider the investment when deciding if you really should lose additional weight. I think you will be glad that you did.

peterejohnsonmd

Tummy tuck

+2

You have a number of things going on. You have lost significant weight to your credit and health, yet are still relatively heavy. You are probably at least moderately obese by most measurements, but are happy with your weight. My test for apprpriateness of surgery is asking if you have achieved your optimal healthy and stable lifestyle. Look at your lifestyle as far as diet, habits, activities, and exercise is concerned. Optimize you level of fitness and then assess what surgery can help you with. There is not question that contouring improvement in you will necessitate a tummy. It is just the question of timing and specific aspects to the procedure.  Robin T.W Yuan, M,.D.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

+1

Although you will likely be a good candidate for tummy tuck surgery at some point, it is not in your best interests to proceed now.  Having the procedure performed when you are overweight, exposes you to additional risk around the time of surgery and increases your risk that additional surgery may be necessary down the line for a multitude of reasons.  Unfortunately, some of the risks (such as deep venous thrombosis and pulmonary embolism) associated with surgery, at your current weight, can be life-threatening. 

The “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight. 

At this point, I would suggest that you  seek consultation with other professionals,  other than plastic surgeons.  Physicians who specialize in weight loss, nutritionists, personal trainers, and/or bariatric surgeons are professionals to consider.  

Having said this, there are some patients who despite all efforts, are not able to reach their long-term stable weight prior to undergoing abdominal wall contouring surgery. These patients benefit from operations such as panniculectomy ( which involves excision of the lower abdominal wall skin/adipose tissues.  For these patients, the panniculectomy operation may provide the patient a “jumpstart”  both physically and mentally (as he/she works towards achieving their final weight and health goals). 

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.  

Tummy tuck in overweight patient

+1

If most of your fat is surface fat as opposed to intraabdominal fat, go for it.  I think you would have a lot of improvement.  If you have intraabdominal fat, your results will be mediocre. 

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Perfect candidate for Tummy Tuck(TT),Abdominoplasty

+1

A tummy tuck usually removes all the skin and any stretch marks and scars that are between the bely button and the cut above the pubic hair. So, from your pictures, you would be an excellent candidate. Activity like driving can usually be within 5-7 days and almost full activity within two to three weeks. A tummy tuck usually reshapes the midsection, flattens it and narrows the waist.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Limitations of abdominoplasty in the overweight patient

+1

An abdominoplasty can provide you with the three critical components to an improved appearance.  Liposuction of your love handles will narrow your waist.  Resection of the hanging pannus will rid you of your "apron".  A rectus plication will improve the protrusion of your belly.  The limitations of the procedure relate to the excess fat internally beneath the muscle and the thickness of the abdominal wall.  These will lead to more fullness of your abdomen after the procedure than if you had gotten closer to ideal weight.  If you cannot lose much more, and would accept a more modest improvement, then an abdominoplasty would be suitable.  Be sure to review your expectations carefully with a board certified Plastic Surgeon.

Glen Brooks, MD
Springfield Plastic Surgeon