Any good recommendation for removing this scar (Photo)

I had this scar since I was 5 years old from a nail scratch & I'm now 18. Is there anything I can do to get rid of it or make it less visible.

Treating Scars

+1
These types of linear scars are very difficult to treat.  Ematrix laser has helped some patients with these types of scars.  Unfortunately it is not an easy fix and I sympathize with how you feel.  Please let me know what treatment you decide and how the results go.

Linear Scars Respond Well To Subcision

+1
For over twenty years, subcision has proven an easy and effective method for permanently elevating depressed scars of various types. Subcision is a procedure in which a sterilized needle is inserted, following the administration of local anesthesia, directly beneath a depressed scar (regardless of whether from acne, infection, trauma, or surgery) and used to break up the thick bands of fibrous scar tissue that bind down the surface and create the depression. On a small, linear scar, such as this, treatment would likely take no more than a couple of minutes.

Breaking up the abnormal bands of thickened, scar collagen accomplishes two things. First, it allows the surface of the scar to float to the surface. In addition, the tissue fluid that immediately fills the space following treatment contains growth factors and other wound healing substances that promote neocollagenesis, native collagen production, that allows for improvement and elevation of the scars. Between two to four treatments, spaced at six week intervals, are generally required to promote sufficient new collagen to achieve a satisfactory improvement. Since, the collagen produced is one's own, the results of subcision are typically permanent.

Fractional microneedle therapy might be considered, if, after subcision, there is a need for blending the treated area with the surrounding skin. .Fractional microneedle therapy aka medical microneedling (or dermarolling) works by creating numerous areas of controlled microwounding that set off in turn a cascade of events that result in new, native collagen synthesis, which translates into healthier, thicker skin that improves the appearance of the underlying scars. It is particularly useful for improving the surface tone and texture of skin to enhance blending with the surrounding normal skin.

Unfortunately, to date I have not been impressed with laser success rates nor the actual degree of overall aesthetic improvement with their use. When it comes to lasers, there is an abundance of media hype and a dearth of rigorous scientific support.

Consultation with a board certified aesthetic core physician with extensive experience in scar treatment is essential.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD