What is good incision care for the first month following Breast Augmentation with inframammary incision?

I'm 13 days post op from breast augmentation with inframary incision. How do I best care for my incisions?

Breast Augmentation incision care

+2
Incision care following surgery is a common question I go over with my patients prior to surgery and after their surgery. It would be wise for you to contact your plastic surgeon to go over their specific regimen.

In general incision care after a breast  augmentation is fairly easy especially when it's located along the inframammary fold. If the incision area is completely healed (i.e. no open wounds) then I recommend massaging the scar with whatever lotion you typically use. This will help promote collagen remodeling by applying pressure to the scar and also provide moisture and flexibility to the scar. If the scar will be visible in your bathing suit you'll need to apply sunscreen too. Keep in mind that scar maturation takes almost one year from your surgery date so be patient with the scar result. 

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

+2
I generally tell my patients to do pretty much nothing to the incision the first month. At a month, if they want to use a scar cream, they can start. However, each surgeon does things differently. Some colleagues start with scar massage sooner, some later, some not at all. I suggest you ask your surgeon their recommendation and follow their advice.

Eric Desman, MD
Alexandria Plastic Surgeon

How to care for breast augmentation inframammary crease incision

+1
First and foremost you must follow the advice of the plastic surgeon who performed your operation.

Gentle massage of your breast implant incision starting about 2 weeks after surgery can be helpful in improving the proper healing of the incision.  Topical applications of silicone liquid such as Scar guard can also be helpful and is used in my practice.

If between 3-6 weeks you develop read raised itchy scars please bring them to the attention of your plastic surgeon. These could be hypertrophic scars and require therapeutic interventions such as silicon taping or non-ablative fractional laser resurfacing.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Scar treatment

+1
You should consider using a silicone based gel or tape. A good silicone gel which is FDA approved is Biocorneum. Ask your surgeon about it as you can not find it online.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Incision care

+1
Most incisions heal very well with no interventions at all. My advice is to follow your own surgeons instructions. That person is the one responsible for your care which includes healing of your incisions.

All the best. 

Every Plastic Surgeon has their own method of scar treatments

+1
Every Plastic Surgeon has their own method of scar treatments after breast augmentation. I start with a subcuticular suture (leaves no track marks) at the time of surgery. This is generally removed 7 days post surgery. At that time, I give my patient's a roll of paper tape which is changed every three days for 3 weeks. I then have my patients use a silicone cream every day for 3 months.

David Rankin, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

Incision care

+1
My preference is surgical tapes for 2 weeks than aggresive silicone cream but everyone is different and every one heals different

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Incision care after Breast Augmentation

+1
Thank you for the inquiry about your breast augmentation healing.

Every surgeon does things differently.  You should follow your surgeons post op instructions.  If none were provided for you, you should call the surgeon's office and request these instructions.  Best Wishes. 

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Incision Care After Augmentation

+1
Every doctor has their own protocol.   There are many good options for scar management.  Follow your Plastic Surgeon's instructions for your best result!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD