Is It a Good Idea to Travel to Have Breast Augmentation Done? I Would Like to Travel to Utah Which is Only 6 Hours Away.

Hi I would like to travel to Utah to have my breasts done. I live in Colorado so Utah is only 5-6 hours away. I have also found a very good doctor in Utah with good reviews. Please give me feedback of if it's a good idea or not to travel. Thanks

OK to travel for breast augmentation

+1

In general, traveling for your breast augmentation surgery should be safe.  I would recommend staying in the area for at least a few days postoperatively, as well as being willing to drive for postoperative visits occasionally.  You must also consider if there are any personal health factors which might increase the need for your plastic surgeon to see you more frequently than most patients.  Discuss the situation with your plastic surgeon in Utah to see if he/she would be comfortable with the arrangement as well.

Katy Plastic Surgeon

Travel within the US for surgery.

+1

Travel within the US for surgery is very common. Depending upon the type of surgery, having a place to stay local to your surgeon is important in the early postoperative period. The complications that require immediate attention are small, but not something you would want to travel 5-6 hours for to have treated. Discuss your plans with your surgeon to find out their recommendations for postoperative timing and their visit schedules.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Traveling for surgery

+1

I think it is best to stay close to home for surgery unless you cannot find a qualified surgeon to do your surgery.  Traveling always adds a level of stress and worry both for the patient and the surgeon.  If you do travel, you should plan on staying in the town or city where you have your surgery for a few days. 

It is always a bad idea to travel just for a lower price!

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Destination surgery is probably not the best idea.

+1

The issue with travelling for surgery is th lack of ease you will have for your followup care. I typically see my patients 6-10 times in the first 6-8 weeks after breast augmentation surgery. I want to be sure we can avoid any early issues that will result in less than the best result possible.

Laurie Casas, MD

Travel for plastic surgery

+1

Travel for plastic surgery has become more common.  The world has become smaller with help of the internet and many patients are finding their best choice of plastic surgeon some distance away.  We have over 1/3 of our patients travel from out of state and feel very comfortable with the safety of it.  A little pre-planning is necessary.  I would recommend contacting your surgeon before travel to make the process as smooth and efficient as possible.  Things to discuss:

• If your plastic surgeon will allow you to send pictures and start a dialogue with you before the consult, I would recommend it.  
  • You should have a discussion regarding how long you are required to stay in town.
  • Who will travel with you to take care of you?
  • How does the follow up schedule work?

York Jay Yates, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Travel

+1

If you were my patient, I would at least have you stay locally for a few days after surgery.  The greatest risk to you is that you could have post-operative bleeding ( a hematoma).  The risk overall is small and most of the time it occurs within 48 hours after surgery.  Also it can be triggered by excessive activity or vomiting (like you might from a long trip in a car), so it would be best for you to stay nearby for at least 48 hours.  Every plastic surgeon has their own recommendations regarding this so it is best to ask the surgeon who would be performing the procedure.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

I don't see an issue as long as you follow your surgeons recommentations

+1

We have many patients that travel from out of state to have with us.  I see no problem in doing so as long as you follow the reccomendations given to you by your surgeon regarding travel before and after surgery.

Renato Saltz, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Traveling for Breast Augmentation?

+1

Generally, it is okay to travel 5 to 6 hours for your procedure;  this is especially the case if you don't mind traveling for follow-up and/or for treatment of complications.

Surgeon fro breast augmentation

+1

While it usually is OK to travel for surgery, remember that if you have complications, etc.. the distance is the same for follow-up and care.

Yes, you can travel to have surgery but follow your surgeon's instructions for travel

+1

Thank you for your question. Yes, you can travel to have surgery but follow your surgeon's instructions for travel.  Traveling for your surgery is usually not the issue as long as you are able to travel to and from your follow up appointments and get back to see your surgeon if you happen to have any problems.  I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS