Is It Good Idea to Take the Pre-op Vitamins That Are Advertised As Such Before a Facelift?

I know Vitamin E is not supposed to be used pre3-op, along with herbs and anything containing aspirin or the like. Also, what about post-op? Should Arnica and Bromelain be used post operatively? Thank you to anyone who answers.

Pre-Operative Vitamins and Facial Rejuvenation

+2

The goal is to maximize good nutrition prior to and after facial rejuvenation and that may include proper vitamin intake of A, C, a small amount of E, and some selected supplements. Certainly, one needs to avoid Fish Oils and Aspirin for two weeks before surgery. Arnica and Bromelain are fine to use post operatively as well as they minimize bruising.

Pre-op vitamins

+1

As long as you eat a healthy and balanced diet there is probably no need for pre-op vitamins.  There are a few basic post-op instructions such as the one on the link below

Sam Naficy, MD

Is It Good Idea to Take the Pre-op Vitamins That Are Advertised As Such Before a Facelift

+1

If one is on a good diet, it is likely that the vitamins will not add much. If you are already taking vitamins, I would only stop those that might have interactions with bleeding or the anesthetic drugs, your surgeon should be able to give you a list of those particular items. We like to use Arnica and Bromelain after the surgery too.

Julio Garcia, MD

Boost your healing potential

+1

Great question. Yes, taking supplements to assist in your healing is very beneficial. Arnica Montana, Bromelain, and Vitamins may improve and reduce bruising and swelling if taken approximately 5 days before and after surgery.

Mark Codner, MD

Facelift - Is It Good Idea to Take the Pre-op Vitamins That Are Advertised As Such Before a Facelift?

+1

As you can see, there are as many different answers to this question as there are surgeons being asked.

I generally recommend that patients stop EVERYTHING (except for acetaminophen) for a period of three weeks before and after surgery.  That is because (1) I am not convinced enough that any of the supplements are fully beneficial and (2) I am concerned that they, or something else that they may be compounded with, could cause some adverse effects.

However, you should follow the specific directions on this (and all other matters) of your surgeon.  He or she will be responsible for directing every aspect of your care, including the pre and post-operative treatments.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Vitamins before a facelift.

+1

We have a list of vitamins and supplements to avoid pre-op.  Things to avoid include, Vit A, E. Herbal supplements such as Ginko, Garlic, Fish Oil.  Medications such as Aspirin and Ibuprofen should also be avoided.  They predispose to bleeding.  We usually have patients avoid them 2 weeks before surgery and 2 weeks after surgery.  Having a normal diet with protein will help the healing process.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Vitamins and surgery

+1

The only added supplement I recommend for my patients is a multivitamin and a healthy diet. Ask your surgeon what he or she recommends for you. Additional Vitamin E can predispose to bleeding.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Supplements for face lift

+1

I do not usually recommmend anythingmore than a simple multivitamin once a day and vitamin C.  You should talk to your surgeon.

Supplements after facelift surgery

+1

i generally recommend supplements two weeks before and after.   there are supplements that generally assist in healing and others like arnica and bromelain that are less studied but many patients and doctors feel there is a benefit..  we prefer Vitamedica products

Preoperative Vitamins

+1

I usually suggest against preoperative vitamins since most of the supplements also have vitamins that can increase the rink of bleeding. All of my patients take a mixture of Arnica and Chromium supplement which is an herbal supplement that decreases inflammation postoperatively.

Jacob Freiman, MD, FACS
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon