Is It a Good Idea to Tape the Eyelid Down at Night As Upper Eyelid is Retracting?

upper eyelid is retracting after surgery am scared it will dry out my eye it also seems to want to go up as i sleep no spacer wasused to keep it down Is it a good idea to tape the eyelid down at night am lubricating the eye with hylo forte in day and ointment at night should i put oil on the lid or something the doctor said he cant do anything for me for 9mths and doesnt want to see me again can i tape the lid at nite will this help the whites of my eye above are starting to show thanks

Yes, taping the eyelid down at night can help stretch the skin following eyelid surgery if the skin is retracting.

+1

Yes, taping the eyelid down at night can help stretch the skin following eyelid surgery if the skin is retracting.  Gentle massage during the day may also help.  Some eyelid creams may also help relax the skin and scar.  If the scar is thick, it could be treated with the pulsed dye laser or the Fraxel re:store 1550 laser to help it relax. 

Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Tape?

+1

It is very important to protect the cornea after blepharoplasty surgery.  Your physician will instruct you with the best methods and "taping" may be one of them.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Some doctors actually leave a suture through the eyelid margin at the end of surgery for this purpose.

+1

The patent is then instructed to pull down the upper eyelid manually several times during the day and tape it down nightly.  Since this is not your situation, you might try lid massage during the day and taping the eyelid down at night.  Be careful not to put too much pressure on the eye and also be careful not to scratch the eye.

Absolutely okay

+1

This is not only okay, but it is something I recommend to patients while we wait for scarring to evolve and soften.

I often recommend using Breath Right nasal strips  because of its good "sticking power".

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon