Is It a Good Idea to Refine my Nose? (photo)

I recently seen a great PS.I did not leave his office with confidence that he understood my idea of refinement.I told him I didn't want to reshape my nose but only tone the tip and wideness down.He explained to me that he could scoop my nose(like a slope}and lift the tip.Then he told me don't fix what's not broke. My face has good proportion(eyes,lips,cheeks and nose).Now I'm iffy,I just want a good PS. Would I have to break my nose or is this a fairly easy job for another PS. Am I 2 being vain?

Without seeing your entire face, no rhinoplasty decision can be properly made.

+3

Dear Relax;

Understand that the features of the nose and proportionality of the nose must be understood and measured when considered as part of the entire face.  In some patients with a large face, a larger nose works; other patients who have a smaller face require a smaller nose. 

Likewise, we need to have some sense of proportions and know:

•   Do you have a high forehead? 
  •   Do you have a large chin? 
  •   Are the cheeks wide? 
  •   Are the cheeks flat? 

All of these titems must be taken into consideration before any recommendation can be made. Therefore as a RealSelf.com consultant, I cannot give you an answer to your question based on the photos that you have submitted.  Many features of your nose are very nice, but the most important thing is to understand what you don’t like and what can be accomplished within the confines and an understanding of your overall facial structure. 

I would agree that computer imaging is very helpful in understanding what a reasonable result can be.  It also allows you to participate with the surgeon in asking questions such as, “What would the nose look like if it were a little narrower?” 

I recommend you have a consultation or multiple consultations so that you have a consensus of what is appropriate for you.

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS
Facial Plastic Surgeon
Author, SECRETS OF A BEVERLY HILLS COSMETIC SURGEON
Author, THE ESSENTIAL COSMETIC SURGERY COMPANION

Refinement of the nose

+2
First and foremost I would highly suggest seeing a surgeon who uses digital imaging so while the consulting phase is in progress you can determine both you and your surgeons aesthetic desires. The digital imaging allows you to see what the surgeon proposes for your surgical results prior to the procedure. With this said my personal expert opinion is that you would probably benefit from a reduction of the nasal tip and narrowing of the nostrils. This probably would be accomplished without breaking the nasal bones. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD

Refine My Nose

+2

Whenever possible, it is best to refine a nose, not make dramatic changes. Narrowing your tip and the nasal base, while actually augmenting the bridge line will improve definition and provide the refinement you want. I never feel rhinoplasty easy, but I suggest you get another appointment with another surgeon who is experienced with African-American noses. You're not being too vain.

Is It a Good Idea to Refine my Nose?

+1

See 10 different Rhinoplasty Surgeons and you're likely to get 10 different opinions.  I believe the most important thing to look for when selecting your Rhinoplasty Surgeon is the ability for the surgeon to understand and follow the proper aesthetics of facial (and nasal) beauty for the creation of a naturally, more attractive nose.  IMHO, thin the nasal tip and reduce the nostril flare slightly.  

Patient & surgeon need to agree on what "refining the nose" means

+1

Be sure to have good communication with your rhinoplasty surgeon prior to undergoing the elective rhinoplasty procedure.  It is also important not to have a ski slope type nose.  Thinning out the tip cartilages of the nose can certainly be accomplished through closed rhinoplasty techniques.  Alarplasty incisions are also performed to narrow wide nostrils.  Breaking the nose is only done when it is necessary to narrow the upper third of the nasal nose where the nasal bones are and is not performed with every rhinoplasty.

Rhinoplasty can be a good idea

+1

Rhinoplasty can be a good idea, though only if you understand the changes and feel this is the right goal for you. If the difference matters to you, then the rhinoplasty is worth the effort. Computer imaging is the best way we know to see the goals and 'try out' options to get the best, new you.

peterejohnsonmd.com

Nose Refinement

+1

This would be a good time to get a 2nd (or 3rd) opinion from a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or Facial Plastic Surgeon. Bring your pictures and show what you are looking to achieve - your request seems reasonable.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Sounds like you need a second opinion

+1

Get a second opinion. Imaging won't help a lot as refinement and narrowing the base are hard to show. See another doctor with experience in ethnic rhinoplasties  

William B. Rosenblatt, MD