Is It a Good Idea to Go to Plastic Surgeons Whom Are Still in Residency?

I hear results are just as good. I livw in new orleans and the surgery would be performed at the Lsu medical i hear. I have a consult April 6, 2012 as there are very expierenced PS that perform with the resident student. I am looking to have explant sugery. I think that it may be cheaper to go this route.

Although I understand that plastic surgeons, including myself, need to train somewhere, I would suggest that you do not make yourself a “subject” for breast augmentation surgery. Ultimately, you should keep the final goal in mind; achieving the results you wish with breast surgery as safely and complication free as possible.
I would suggest, instead that you slowly save up for this elective procedure. When the time is right from the physical, emotional, psychosocial, and financial standpoints, find the best plastic surgeon you can to perform the procedure for you.
When it comes to choosing a plastic surgeon I generally advise that patients start with the American Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.
Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.
You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
Make your decisions carefully when it comes to selection of your plastic surgeon; although no surgeon is perfect and every plastic surgeon has complications that require revisionary surgery, revisionary surgery rates may vary from one surgeon to another. Also, remember that if revisionary surgery does become necessary, it may be more expensive in many ways. Therefore, do not to make your decisions based on financial considerations primarily.

Exchange of implants

If the procedure is straight forward and you are going to well known facility and feel comfortable after the consult,check the price difference and make an educated decision. For more complicated procedures I would go to a board certified plastic surgeon if you can afforded it.

Good luck

Plastic surgery resident clinics can be safe environment for inexpensive cosmetic surgery.

University hospitals like LSU are usually supervised environments and quite safe.   Much better to go there than to a very low fee private surgeon with questionable credentials. 

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Choosing a Resident For Your Plastic Surgeon

You may want to check out the cost difference between the resident's clinic and an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  If you are able to afford the person with the best training why accept less than the best?

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Surgeons in residency

Most of us were trained in this manner.  You should make sure your resident is supervised during the procedure and understand that he or she are not seasoned in difficult cases.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Plastic surgery by residents

All of us were residents at one time and I personally trained residents for 11 years.  So, I can say that doing surgery with a resident backed by an experienced surgeon can work well in simple cases, however, it is not the case that the results will be the same as if the experienced surgeon did it himself or herself.  But in just an explant case which is very simple, a resident surgeon could be just fine.

Residents clinic in plastic surgery

There is something to the adage "you get what you pay for".  In general I would have a hard time recommending a resident clinic. You do not know how much of the time the supervising surgeon will be present and involved.  You might get supervision from a distance.  

That said, with an explant (removal of breast implant), I think you should be fine with a residents clinic.  This is a pretty easy case that involves minimal tissue manipulation.   Unless you are also getting a mastopexy (lift), I could not strongly recommend paying more. 

Good Luck

Gordon Lewis, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon