Good Idea to Have Juvederm 3 Weeks Before an Important Event?

I have an appointment to have juvederm for the first time around the corners of my mouth 3 weeks before my daughters wedding. Is this too close to allow for any bruising etc to clear up? Should I re-schedule?

Juvederm Three Weeks Before a Big Event

+2

Juvederm, as with all the fillers, have some possible risks.  The most common are swelling and bruising which typically resolve within 1-2 weeks.  There are several things that can be done on your part to help minimize your risk, ie. discontinue medications that increase bruising.  Our office gives our patients this list and has patients stop everything from aspirin to vitamin E, 10 days prior to the injection.  If you seek out an experienced  board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon you are likely to be in good hands. 

Annapolis Dermatologist

Downtime after Juvederm

+2

Hello and thank you for the question.

Three weeks should give you plenty of time to heal/swelling & bruising to resolve, following treatment with injectable fillers. You may want to consider taking Arnica Montana during the peri-procedural period to lessen the potential bruising. Also, I would suggest avoiding any products that may exacerbate bruising such as aspirin, ibuprofen, fish oils.

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S. 

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Juverderm before an important event- what to consider

+1

3 weeks should be fine.  There is usually very little bruising, and swelling usually resolves after the first few days.  Make sure you are off all aspirin based products at least a week before the injection.  I do have one additional piece of advice- I generally recommend that patients don't try anything like this for the first time before an important event.  You just want to make sure that it is the look that you are going for.  

B. Aviva Preminger, MD

You can have Juvederm 3 weeks before an important event

+1

You can have Juvederm 3 weeks before an important event as most bruising or swelling from Juvederm is gone within several days.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Juvéderm Before an Event

+1

Yes, I would advise having a Juvéderm treatment two to three weeks before an event.  This will leave enough time for any swelling or brusing that could occur ... I wouldn't advise having Juvéderm 1 week prior to an event.

Deborah Sarnoff, MD

Juvederm 3 weeks prior to wedding

+1

Yes, it would be safe to get injections 3-weeks prior to the wedding.  Make sure to be off aspirin or ibuprofen prior to the injections.  Also, tell your doctor to be "conservative" as to minimize the chance of over-injection.  Enjoy the wedding and all the best to you, Dr. Vartanian

A. John Vartanian, MD
Glendale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm recovery

+1

3 weeks is more than enough for recovery after a Juvederm treatment. There may be a little bit of swelling at the day of treatment

Robert Kasten, MD
Mainz Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm 3 weeks before an event

+1

Usually bruising from Juvederm injections does not last past two weeks. I would advise you to get off of all blood thinning medications and supplements such as aspirin, Vitamin E, omega 3s and others before injection. Talk to you injector about his or her preference, but in the end you will probably be okay. However, you shouldn't do it less than 10 to 14 days before.

Deason Dunagan, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm 3 weeks before an important event

+1

The most common risk of injectables like juvederm, restylane, botox, dysport, perlane or radiesse is bruising.   You may have little to no bruising but if you do get a bruise it can take up to 2 weeks to completely resolve.  By 3 weeks you should look great for your daughter's wedding.   You can limit your risk of bruising by avoiding Non-steroidal anti-inflammatories like Motrin, Aspirin or Ibuprofen 10 days prior.  Avoid having injectables during menstruation.  Take arnica montana/and bromelain before and after your injections.   Use plenty of ice during and after your injections.  

James C. Marotta, MD
Long Island Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm and Bruising

+1

Bruising can occur after Juvederm injection, but in the majority of patients treated by experienced injectors, it is not an issue. I would avoid aspirin, ibuprofen (all NSAIDS), vitamin E, fish oil, any exotic supplements (echinaciae, ginkgo, st. john's wort), and herbal tea for a week to ten days prior to your procedure.  All of these products increase your chance for initial bruising and can prolong bruising.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon