Is It Good Idea to Get Dual Procedure - Tummy Tuck and Rod Removal from Previously Fractured Arm at the Same Time?

I fractured my arm almost 2 years ago. I have a rod placed in my right upper arm. Now I need to get it removed. I have also been planning to get a tummy tuck (muscle repair + lipo) as well. I was told I will be given general anesthesia for both the procedures and also the recovery time for both is 4 weeks plus. I wanna know if there would be any complications if I get a dual procedure done i.e, my tummy tuck and rod removal procedure from previously fractured arm at same time? Thanks in advance

Is It Good Idea to Get Dual Procedure - Tummy Tuck and Rod Removal?

+1

Thank you for the question. Combination surgical procedures are done on a routine basis. However,  it is best to evaluate each patient on an individualized basis. During this consultation process, after a complete history and physical, the SAFETY  of combining these surgical procedures becomes of paramount importance.  Factors such as selection of plastic surgeon,  exact procedures planned, estimated blood loss, duration of surgery,  recovery considerations, anesthesia provider, duration of surgery, surgery facility are all important  considerations.

+1

The only issue I have with this is that most TT patients need their arms to get in and out of bed after the procedure. Chances are simple rod removal through a small incision would not make it impossible to  use the arms, but I would check with your orthopedist about that. 

Otherwise, the plan sounds appropriate. All the best. 

Cosmetic and Reconstructive procedure at the same time

+1

Theoretically, having both procedures at the same time makes a lot of sense.  Only one recovery time, utilizing the same anesthetic, but the problem is one of finances.  Insurance will NOT pay for anything associated with the tummy tuck, including anesthesia.  So, the cost of performing both procedures in a hospital setting could potentially be much higher than having 2 separate procedures, one covered by insurance in the hospital setting, and the other in an outpatient setting with out of pocket expenses.  It is worth checking into to see if you can pull it off, but don't be surprised if the $$$ are much higher for the combination procedure.

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon