Is It a Good Idea to Bring a Bra the Size I Hope to Be After Surgery with Me to Pre-op? (photo)

I am sceduled for surgery May 25 2012. I have been looking at smaller bras and I have notice that the cup sizes "D" and "DD" tend to varie depending on the brand. Should I bring a bra with the cup the size I would like to be post-op with me to pre-op, or should I make another appointment to show him the size I would like. I currently wear a 44 H / 42 I depending on the bra. I told my plastic surgen I would like to be a "D-DD" post-op. I am worried now seeing all the variations of "D" and "DD".

It is a greast idea to bring the bra you hope to wear after breast surgery

+2

Communication is key and the more information your surgeon has concerning your breast surgery the better the chance of clear understanding. We like to see the expected bra before breast augmentation, and even with breast reduction the bra can be very important in planning 'your' result.

Is It a Good Idea to Bring a Bra the Size I Hope to Be After Surgery with Me to Pre-op?

+2

Thanks for the posted photo. The more input to your surgeon the better. Make as many pre operative appointments as needed. Until you are completely satisfied everyone is on the same page. 

Bring anything you can to convey the size you want to be after a breast reduction to your plastic surgeon.

+2

A breast reduction takes a breast from one size to a smaller one.  Plastic surgeons want to give the patients the size they desire.  Bra size, photographs, or anything else that can convey the expectation to the surgeon will help.

Communicating Goals for Breast Reduction Surgery?

+2

Thank you for the question and picture.

It is a good idea to do whatever is necessary to communicate your goals with your plastic surgeon. Generally, I use “goal pictures” but have had patients bring in bras to help with the communication process. I'm sure your plastic surgeon will agree that the more the communication the better;  you should feel comfortable that he understands what your goals are.

Keep in mind, that despite optimal communication and plastic surgeons' best efforts,  that specific cup size, shape, symmetry cannot be predicted and/or guaranteed.

Best  wishes with your upcoming surgery; breast reduction surgery tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

Ideal bra vs. Ideal photographs

+1

If you are a 42 I and want to be a 42 DD that will correspond to 4 cup size reduction.  At size 42, each cup size is 300 cc's so that will be 1200 cc's reduction.  The most important factor is that the breast be proportioned to your body size.  You should provide the surgeon with photographs of what you consider to be desirable rather than a bra.

Best of Luck,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction

+1

It is a good idea to express your concerns to your surgeon.  While it is difficult to get the cup size to match the volume reduction exactly, it helps set the goal.

Sizing bra for breast reduxtion

+1
I always have my augment patients bring a bra for sizing. In a reduction, the more communication the better, but the concept is slightly different. Just keep in mind that the chest size should remain constant or the exercise will not be as meaningful.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Bra Sizes are not standardized

+1

The garment industry does not standardize bra sizes so I try very hard not to use bra language when talking about breast size prior to surgery.  It avoids miscommunication.  I do find that photographs are pretty good at visually communicating size and proportion.  I try to pick photos of women similar in body type and point to several that might be similar in predicted outcome. I ask patients to bring in a few pictures to show me if they are worried about being misunderstood about size preferences.

Mary Lee Peters, MD