It a Good Idea to Get Artefill on Tear Trough Deformity?

I went to the Northpark mall and this register nurse who worked at a spa (in the mall) recommended for me to get artefill on the undereyes. Do you agree artefill under the eyes. She said the "artefill can lasted to five years". She claims nurses are be licensed to perform restylane, botox, radiesse. artefill, and other injections. So what are ya'll opinions?

Artefill for Tear Trough Deformity

+1

Not everyone who has an apparent 'tear trough' deformity is a good candidate for fillers, but when they are, I prefer to use a more forgiving filler such as Juvederm ( a hyaluronic acid filler) for first time filling to make sure the result is optimal for the patient's needs. Then if that patient wanted a semi-permanent filler, Artefill could be considered but it has some distinct drawbacks in the eyelid area. Due to the thinness of the skin it is more likely to be seen or felt under the skin. There is little room for technical error. As for who can inject Artefill - that can depend on the state you are living in. In our state a licensed nurse practitioner can inject Artefill. I would make an educated guess that notet many nurses inject Artefill since it is a less used filler than the hyaluronic acids and calcium based fillers. Best of Luck   Dr Harrell

Artefill for tear trough correction

+1

As Dr. Kontis noted, Artefill is a combination product. For full disclosure, I don't use Artefill because I feel I can get the same permanent results with fat transfer to the tear trough as others may get with Artefill. I have seen several patients in whom the Artefill has migrated or become infected and needed removal. I would agree that every procedure, including fat injections, have complications and some of these risks like lumps and bumps are often injector dependent.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

I do use Artefill in the tear troughs

+1

I do use Artefill in the tear troughs and have had very good results. The likelihood of lumps and bumps has little to do with the product and a lot to do with the technique. Tear troughs can be tricky to get right, so I always start with a temporary filler--usually Juvederm--to both let the patient "try it on for size" so to speak, but also to let me see how much volume is required to avoid undercorrecting or overcorrecting the area.

If the patient and I like the result, we can proceed with Artefill once the Juvederm goes away. For those who want to avoid the nuisance and recurring expense of temporary fillers, this can be a nice way to go.

--DCP

David C. Pearson, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Artefill is a good injectable but I don't recommend it in the tear trough area.

+1

Artefill does great in the nasolabial/cheek areas but in delicate areas like under the eyes, I think it could result in a permanent bumpiness that you would not like.  Stick to diluted radiesse or juvederm or restylane or even fat injectibles.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Artefill in the cheek folds, but not under the eyes!

+1

Artefill is an injectable product that consists of small polymer beads suspended in bovine collagen. It is considered more of a permanent filler because the beads are a type of plastic. This filler is mostly used in the cheek (nasolabial) folds. Because it is also made with collagen, a skin test is required 1 month before facial injection to assure no allergy to the collagen. In my opinion, because of it's permanence and large particle size, it should not be used under the eyes in the tear trough region.

Theda C. Kontis, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon