Some Good Drugs to Feel No Pain After TT?

I am going to have TT august 20, 2012. Could someone tell me what medication take after Tummy tuck?

Pain Control after Tummy Tuck

+2

There are three times you need pain control after a tummy tuck. The first is immediately post operatively. For this pain we use a pain pump hat lets you control the amount of medication, an irrigated numbing medication, and/or a continuous irrigator of a numbing solution. The second period is the recovery over the next few days. For this period we use various oral pain meds. The next phase is at four days to a week when your back, not the incision, is the painful area. This goes away when you can stand straight. Prior to then you can use an anti inflammatory such as Aleve, etc. Your surgeon will have a preference and guide you through the stages.

Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Exparel or On-Q to minimize post tummy tuck discomfort

+2

The best way to minimize pain is to block it, and 2 ways to do that are the use of an On-Q "pain pump" which slowly infuses a non-narcotic numbing agent into the surgical site, or Exparel, a new drug that slowly releases a numbing agent without needing a pump. There will always be some discomfort however after a tummy tuck and your plastic surgeon will prescribe medication for you to take.

Richard Baxter, MD

Pain Medications After a Tummy Tuck

+2

Dear Bisotto,

Each surgeon has their post-operative routine they use to help get their patients through the tough days right after surgery.  Your doctor has a set of medications that they will prescribe for you based upon their experience with this procedure and what they feel is best for you.  Their number 1 concern is your safety and your comfort.  

That being said, there are no medications that can promise you a pain free recovery after a tummy tuck.  The medications you are prescribed should make your pain tolerable but they will not eliminate all pain.  A pain pump which drips local anesthetic into the surgical area has made the pain after surgery better for some patients.  Another new option is the medication Exparel which is a long-acting local-up to 72 hours- that can be injected into the abdominal tissues at the time of surgery.  This is fairly new but has had some very good results in helping with the pain control.. Discuss these with your surgeon and best of luck with your TT.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

+2

Whatever you take, you will feel some pain. Your surgeon will undoubtedly prescribe what he or she thinks is appropriate. All the medications work differently in different individual patients. 

One thing to consider with your surgeon, since you seem to have concern about the post-op pain, is the use of a pump that can deliver local anesthetic to the surgical area for several days after the surgery. Again, I am not talking no pain, but less pain. These add a few hundred dollars to the cost, but are worthwhile if they keep you from feeling miserable.

Thanks for the question, best wishes.

Tummy Tuck: Discuss this with your surgeon and take the medications that are prescribed to you by him or her.

+1

Discuss this with your surgeon and take the medications that are prescribed to you by him or her. Best of luck. I hope it goes well.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck and postoperative pain medications.

+1

Your plastic surgeon will prescribe the appropriate pain medications following your tummy tuck. If you have had pain medications in the past and some worked better for you than others, it would be prudent to discuss this with your surgeon ahead of time. There is no way to remove all of the pain from surgery, but the goal is to keep the pain manageable.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Medications after a tummy tuck

+1

Having performed many tummy tucks, I've found that oxycontin around the clock for the first week followed by oxycodone as needed for spikes in pain really helps to minimize any discomfort.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD

Pain post TT

+1

There are several good narcotivs available to ease your pain.I also feel coool compresses post op helpas well.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Pain medication after TT

+1

You will experience some pain and discomfort after any surgery.  Your plastic surgeon probably has her/his regimen of pain meds to help you post-operatively.  We as plastic surgeons always think of patients' comfort and safety.  Talk to her/him about your concerns.  There are many options for different pain meds as well as pain pump.  Each plastic surgeon is different in her/his postoperative care/meds/instructions.  Good luck to you.

Sugene Kim, MD