Good Doctor to Remove Juvederm in Philadelphia Area?

I have had a bad experience with Juvederm. It's almost been a week and I want it out. How do I find an experienced doc to do this? Do I look for a Surgeon or Dermatologist? Any recommendations for Philadelphia?

My surgeon told me to wait it out, but it looks terrible. He promised to be conservative, but he actually created a problem where there was none. I had a slight smile line which wasn't even my concern. He injected by my mouth and now the lines now protrude. He does not have experience with Vitrase.

Vitrase is one option for dealing with swelling from Juvederm

+1

I'm an ophthalmic plastic surgeon in the Philadelphia area and I have a lot of experience with Juvederm and Vitrase. It is very easy to remove Juvederm with Vitrase, and I would be happy to help you personally or to discuss it with your surgeon, so he can help you.

However, you may not need Vitrase at all. Some people have swelling initially, which can last up to two weeks. If you wait a few more days, it may resolve on its own. If you are someone who swells easily from injections, it often helps to take an anti-histamine (like Claritin or Zyrtec) before injections to prevent some of the swelling.

If the line is really from the Juvederm and not from swelling, it can often be massaged in the office to smooth it out. If there is too much Juvederm there, you can also have some, but not all, of it removed with Vitrase, so you can benefit from the Juvederm without having the problem. I hope this helps.

Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon

Finding an experienced Vitrase injector

+1

Disolving Hyaluronic acid is very easy if one knows where and how deep it was injected. Find a Plastic surgeon and it should be very easy to disolve with one or two sitting of injections. Vitrase disolves only the Hyaluronic acid injected.

If your injector has no experience there are many with experience

Hyaluronidase

+1

I would see Mary Stephanyzn at Will's Eye Hospital. She is an oculoplastic surgeon well versed in hyaluronidase with good experience. 

Chris Thiagarajah, MD
Washington DC Oculoplastic Surgeon

No good to remove Juvederm

+1

There is really no good way to remove Juvederm. With time, Juvederm will
ultimately disappear. If you want the effect of the Juvederm to reduce or disappear
more quickly, you can massage the area or put digital pressure over the injection
sites. In a few days to a week, the Juvederm should disperse and become
much less detectable.

Sigmund L. Sattenspiel, MD
Freehold Facial Plastic Surgeon

Removing Juvederm

+1

It is unfortunate you had a negative experience with Juvederm. It has been a very safe and satisfying product in my practice. The product is a gel made from hyaluronic acid-a compound normally present in skin and soft tissue. The molecules in Juvederm are glued together to make it more difficult for the body to get rid of it but the product is still temporary, lasting 6-12 months.

One can hasten its removal by injecting hyaluronidase - an enzyme that breaks down hyaluronic acid. It goes by various trade names, one of which is Vitrase. It is safe and relatively easy to use but somewhat expensive and often times, hard to find. Control of how much Juvederm you remove can be difficult so if you opt for injections of hyaluronidase, expect complete removal of the Juvederm. There was one experience I had with a patient requesting hyaluronidase. By the time my supplier was able to get the medication it was several weeks later. The injection site had settled and she no longer wanted the hyaluronidase. You may wish to be patient a bit longer.

Barry Stuart Handler, MD