I have a small chin that makes my nose that much more prominent. Am I Good Candidate for a Chin Implant? (photo)

Because my chin is so small, it has always been a daily annoyance trying to simply relax the muscles in my chin. I am constantly having to stop and move my chin/mouth around into a more comfortable resting position. When I relax my face as much as I can the skin on my chin gets "wrinkly". I have a very "strong" nose, so having a small chin makes my nose that much more prominent and my chin that much more noticeable. I believe I would strongly benefit from chin implant surgery. Any feedback?

A Chin Implant Will Improve Your Looks And Make You Feel More Physically Comfortable

+1

You are an excellent candidate for a chin implant.  Your chin is retrusive and your lower lip hangs down.  Both of these can be corrected with a silicone chin implant placed through an intra oral incision.

Your lower lip hangs down because the muscle that raises the lip (mentalis muscle) must not only push the lip upward, but also forward.  This excessive muscle movement not only fatigues the muscle, but gives you unsightly wrinkles on your chin.  The extended silicone chin implant goes on the bone, behind the muscle, pushing the muscle forward and allowing it to close your mouth more easily by decreasing the muscle's necessity to push forward. 

Chin implants placed through the mouth leave no visible scar on the face, and in my experience never get infected.  The surgery can be done under local, and usually takes 30-45 minutes. 

The extended chin implant will bring your jaw forward and give you a jawline on profile.  Anchoring the implant with titanium screws decreases the amount of swelling and also post operative pain because the implant no longer is mobile, leading to less bruising, less swelling, and a quicker, more comfortable recovery.

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Candidate for chin implant

+1

Patients who have retrusive hypoplastic mandibles are excellent candidates for a chin implant.  The chin implant procedure can be done under a local anesthesia.  The implant is placed through a submental incision and the size and shape is determined prior to surgery at the time of the consultation.  Please anticipate at least 10 days of swelling and bruising around the chin area after the procedure to allow for the healing process.

Chin implant should work nicely

+1

From your photos it appears that you are an ideal candidate for chin augmentation with an implant, such as an anatomic style silastic design, which can be sculpted and easily inserted though a small incision in the submental area. I would suggest having computer imaging to create a "blueprint" for your surgery, which is most helpful in giving you confidence about the eventual outcome.

Harrison C. Putman III, MD
Peoria Facial Plastic Surgeon

Choices for chin augmentation

+1

I would agree that your face and neck line would be improved with a chin augmentation. The simplest way would be to use a chin implant, however if your bite is off (malocclusion) or if you want to actually move your chin bone forward (orthognathic surgery) then you should be evaluated by a board certified plastic, oral surgeon or facial plastic surgeon

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Chin implant vs mandibular advancement

+1

From you photos, I believe you would benefit from a surgery to augment the projection and height of your chin.  This procedure could entail either a chin implant or one of several types of advancement of your jaw bone (mandible).  To best assess which procedure may be in your best interest, see that your surgeon evaluates your bite (occlusion).  Best wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant candidate

+1

A chin implant would be the simplest procedure to improve your facial balance.  Other more aggressive procedures: sliding genioplasty or orthognathic surgery on your jaw offer more benefits, but should be discussed with an experienced orthognathic surgeon.  The simple answer is yes you would be a good candidate, but you should know all your options and risks.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Maui Plastic Surgeon

Chin Augmentation By Sliding Genioplasty

+1

You are an excellent candidate for chin augmentation. The question is whether this is best done with an implant or an osteotomy. Given your young age and the degree of chin deficiency, you may want to consider an osteotomy. (sliding geniopalsty) Because of the forward bony movement, you will get a more effective improvement in your lip incompetence and mentalis muscle strain over that of  an implant.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Am I a chin implant candidate?

+1

To answer your question, yes. You are a great candidate for a chin implant. This would help balance your face and bring better proportion to your features. This is a commonly performed procedure done under twilight anesthesia with very predictable results. I hope this is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant Placement

+1

You are an excellent candidate for a chin implant which will improve facial proportions. It may be the lighting in the photograph, but your chin looks asymmetrical; this can be addressed with the operation.

Chin implant or not?

+1

A chin implant will improve your profile, but I would guess that you have a severe underbite based on your profile picture.  This can lead to long-term problems with your TMJ if not addressed.  If this is the case, you can essentially treat both problems with braces and formal jaw surgery.  If not, or if after learning more about it you aren't interested (it is a more involved surgery, as you can imagine), a chin implant can certainly be an option.

I recommend you see a board-certified plastic surgeon with subspecialty training in craniofacial surgery in your area who can discuss both options with you and let you make the choice that you feel is best.

Hope this helps,

Dr. Hall

Jason J. Hall, MD, FACS