Good Canditate for Lipo and Smart Lipo?

I am a 21 yr old female, 5'0 140 pounds. I went for a consult yesterday and was told i would get the smart lipo and trad. lipo. I dont have that much fat to lose on my stomach its just the stubborn, genetic belly fat that wont go away. I was wondering how long it takes for me to see results? How long to take off work, and also should i worry about my skin sagging?

Lipo results and recovery

+2

The key to good and quicker results is being diligent in wearing the binder postoperatively.  You should be able to return to work one week after the procedure.  If your skin is not sagging now, then this would not be a major concern about liposuction.  Once the initial swelling has abated, you should begin to see results and these will continue to improve over 3-6 months.

Recovery from Lipo and Smartlipo

+2

Every patient heals differently, so it is impossible to give you an accurate predication.  However, most patients have some swelling and some bruising.  Most patients are back to the gym by 10 days to 2 weeks.  Depending on the number of areas you are having treated, you could be back to work after a few days or it may take longer.  

Good luck with your surgery.

David Shafer, MD

Liposuction Recovery and Loose Skin

+2

If you have loose skin prior to liposuction, then the skin may not respond favorably afterwards.  I would take off work for a week.  Results may take 3 to 6 months to become apparent.  Ask your surgeon for more precise answers.

Liposuction results

+1

Following liposuction, you should expect a period of postoperative swelling but even then things should look improved from your current situation.  You will need to wear a compressive garments for a few weeks, but should see a noticeable improvement within that time.  The final outcome will not be evident for 3-6 months, but this does not mean that you will not see an improvement during that time- quite the contrary!

I recommend patients take a week or so off work, but if you have a physically demanding job that might be a longer period.  If you have a desk job, you might be able to get back to work in a few days.

As far as your skin goes, if you do have a lot of excess skin (unlikely from your description) you may need a different procedure, but this is unlikely at your age and weight unless you have had children.  Lots more info can be found on websites such as mine here below, but there is no substitute for a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Smart Lipo

+1

You don't have to worry about sagging skin if you don't start with sagging skin.  The benefits of smart lipo are questionable.  I would stick with standard tumescent liposuction with small cannulas.  

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Generally young people to not have trouble with skin sagging after liposuction.

+1

Generally young people to not have trouble with skin sagging after liposuction. However genetics and a history of sun damage or tanning affect skin tightening after liposuction. There is no good scientific evidence that lasers used during liposuction will help tighten the skin.

William P. Coleman III, MD
Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction and smart liposuction.

+1

Both smart liposuction and traditional liposuction techniques are great at removing excess fat. We also improve tightening of the skin especially with smart liposuction. Typically a few days recovery is needed. I tend to perform these procedures on Friday and patients return to work on Monday. It is important to wear compression garments for several days to control swelling. You see an improvement immediately but are still swollen so final results will not be seen for several months.

Sheila Bond, MD
Montclair Plastic Surgeon

Smart Lipo and Traditional Lipo

+1

Hello and thanks for the questions.  Although photos would be beneficial, from your description, you are a candidate for liposuction.  With the Smart Lipo, you have more skin tightening than traditional liposuction, so the chances of sagging skin are decreased.  In addition the better candidates for liposuction are the ones that have persistent fatty deposits in spite of diet and exercise.  You should see some results right after surgery, but the true results won't show for several weeks.  Also the skin tightening will not be seen for 3-6 months that Smart Lipo can provide.  You should only have to take off a few days to a week for liposuction, although I did have a patient return to work the very next day after abdominal Smart Lipo.  She was sore, but sat at her desk.  I wouldn't recommend doing that, though.  Best of luck and hope this helps.  Robert Kratschmer, MD

Robert Kratschmer, MD

Results after SmartLipo

+1

Patients that have stubborn fat deposits that do not go away with good diet and exercising are very good candidates for liposuction of any kind.  SmartLipo does have the added advantage of some skin tightening that can occur due to laser heating.  The amount of tightening varies and if there is significant excess skin, surgical excision is still the best option.  Generally, patients will take off ~ 1 week of work after liposuction.  This depends on how much is removed and what kind of work you do.  Your results will generally be visible by 6 weeks but you will continue to see improvement over several months especially if SmartLipo is performed.

Naveen Setty, MD, FACS

Liposutxoon

+1

The recovery time for liposuction patients vary , but are usually a short 5 to 7 days.  The skin will tighten some with the laser loposuction but if significant sagging of the skin is present, you may need skin excision. Eg 

Sanjay Lalla, MD, FACS
West Orange Plastic Surgeon