What Is Best For Me? Revision Mini-Facelift or Juvederm?

9 months ago, I had eye procedures to make my eyes more symmetrical (accident 3 years ago) and also had a mini-facelift at the same time. I loved the way I looked at 3 months. Much softer. Now, though, I feel like my skin around my mouth has begun to sag again and I look much older than I did at 3 months. I'm worried that my mini-facelift procedure may have failed. (My eyes still look great). I'm in my 40s.

Minilift vs. Juvederm.

+2

The reason for the change is not that the minilift "did not work". The swelling that comes with a facelift makes the face look full. When this recedes the lines and thinner skin reappear. Fillers and of peels will be a better choice than another minilift.

Mini Face Lifts = Mini Results

+2

Dear Siddalee,

From your photos it appears that the best treatment plan for you at this time is to replace volume. Juvederm would be a good option around the mouth and nasolabial folds. Regardless of how sucessful your mini facelift was, it is unrealistic to expect it to last for a prolonged period of time especially in the area surrounding the mouth. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist regarding fillers.

Leslie H. Stevens, MD

Lots of ways to improve your results...

+1

looks like the right side needs more work than the left...cheek may be lifted with some sculptra in your upper face along the bone just under the right eye...we call it the zygomatic arch...this will add fullness and contribute to a lifting of the nasolabial fold that's the deep groove running between your nose and side of your lip...sculptra needs a few months to fully create new collagen and show results...another option that may work as a stand alone treatment or be used in conjunction with the sculptra is either juvederm or restylane in the nasolabial crease and maybe under the eye...this works well but tends to last only 6-9 months rather than the 2+ years with sculptra...fortunately looks like surgery may be avoided altogether

Ken Landow, MD

Failure of minifacelift and correction by fillers or Ulthera or Thermage

+1

Specific recommendations can not be made for you without an examination and seeing how your muscles function with different facial expressions.  If the minilift failed, you might be able to benefit by volumization of the face with fillers as well as tightening the face with non invasive means such as Ulthera or Thermage.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Juvederm is Great for the Skin Around the Mouth

+1

Juvederm or Restylane (both are hyaluronic acid fillers) are the best options for correcting an aging lip and the skin around the mouth. They are used to replace lost volume, define the vermilion borders and create a more youthful curl, elevate and lift the corners of the mouth, and correct vertical wrinkle lines. They can restore the natural contour of the upper and lower lip and enhance the cupid’s bow area. Lifting the corners of the mouth gives a hint of a smile and reduces the “sad or angry look” when they are downturned.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Mini facelift

+1

A mini facelift or a full facelift often gives limited results around the mouth. Sometimes fat injection or facial fillers will improve this area.

Minifacelift gives miniresults for minilength of time

+1

A Mini is all mini and you probably got the maxi from it.  A mini for sure has zero benefit around your mouth.  For that, Restylane (better than Juvederm in my opinion) would be the better choice.  Do a full facelift several years from now, no more mini's pease.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

What to do about sagging skin around the mouth

+1

Juvederm can certainly help with nasolabial folds and marionette lines, but it is also helpful to look at the reason lines around the mouth appear.  Usually this is due to volume loss in the areas above, like the temples and cheeks.

The volume loss usually happens in the connective tissue (collagen), fat and bony structures, starting out slowly at around age 30 and progressing.  By some estimates about 1-5 cc of soft tissue are lost from the face every year.  So the skin loses its scaffolding and sags.

Replenishing the volume above, in the upper and particularly mid 1/3 of the face will help with sagging skin around the mouth.  Consider fillers like Sculptra that can give a global stimulation of new collagen deposition in your face or Radiesse.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon