Do You Think I'm a Good Candidate for a Tummy Tuck? What Kind of Incision Would You Recommend? (photo)

I had a very aggressive liposuction back in 2007 on my stomach area, let me with indentations, blotche and change of color of the skin, lumpy, not to smooth results, also had at that time a breast augmentation 365cc silicon gel. I weight 119 pounds, 5 feet tall, ( 2 pregnancies) very active person, I work out in a regimen 5 to 6 days a week lifting weights my passion. I have been considering a tummy tuck to get it rid of this bad texture of my belly, very wrinkly. What would you recommend?

update 5-10-12
My doctor told me that in order to look and heal better from my coming up tummy tuck, since I don't have much skin to redrape, she recommends to go with and horizontal incision (no vertical) where the original belly botton was, because will look much better that vertical, what do you think?

Tummy tuck scar

+3

Defintely a horizontal incision for almost every tummy tuck I perform. From your photos, you area good candidate and the surgery should help smooth out the irregularities left from the lipo.

Tummy tuck will remove wrinkles

+3

You have excess skin with wrinkling caused by the excessive liposuction.  You also have a lumpy skin surface.  You are an excellent candidate for an abdominoplasty.  This will resect the excess skin and tightening of the remaining skin to smooth out the wrinkles.  Abdominoplasty also tightens your fascia and gives a more hourglass figure.

Best of Luck,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Do You Think I'm a Good Candidate for a Tummy Tuck?

+3

Even with all the posted photos very hard to determine if a skin only tummy tuck would help you. Best to see a few boarded PSs in person. 

Overly aggressive liposuction

+3

I am sorry to hear about your misfortune with liposuction and the uneven removal of fat that left you with bumps and indents. Unfortunately I am quite sure that a tummy tuck will not resolve the issue. The procedure is used to tighten abdominal muscles and remove excess skin and fat. Your main problem is the uneven distribution fat that is not excessive under the abdominal skin. If you have the tummy tuck you will just be compounding your problems with bad plastic surgery.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

+3

Yes, because of the excess skin with  poor elasticity you would benefit from an abdominoplasty. If you compete in body building or similar activities you need to keep the scar in mind.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Would Tummy Tuck Help

+3

Your situation is one that i have seen often.  If you are done having kids then this is a option which will improve the appearance of the abdomen. The trade off is the tummy tuck scar. You must give this some thought.  A mini tummy tuck will not work.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Tummy Tuck Candidate after "Aggressiveā€¯ Liposuction?

+3

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Congratulations on your healthy lifestyle; you should be very proud of your appearance at this point.  

I think that you are correct in that the only solution for patients who have had “aggressive” liposuction of the abdomen performed would be tummy tuck surgery.  Other modalities of treatment will be ineffective.

Whether or not you will be a good candidate for tummy tuck surgery, will depend on physical examination and whether there is enough skin redundancy/laxity to allow for the procedure to be performed. Unfortunately, despite the  nice variety of pictures you have posted, accurate advice cannot be provided until  examination is carried out by well experienced plastic surgeons.

You can get away with skin tightening rather then surgery for your abdomen

+2

I think you are actually in pretty good shape to get improvement without surgery for this. While you could do some type of abdominoplasty, it's probably overkill. What I'd suggest would be one of the various radiofrequency (RF) devices that are used for skin tightening. The two platforms I've been most impressed with are the Excilis from BTL Aesthetics and the Apollo from Pollogen. With about half a dozen 10-15 minute treatments you can significantly improve this kind of laxity with these kinds of devices

Robert Oliver Jr., MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Tightening skin after overliposuction of abdomen

+2
It would be very important to examine you to assess whether skin removal of the abdomen will adequately help your situation. Tightening the abdominal skin may remove the excess skin, but you may still have unevenness of contour depending on the evenness of the subcutaneous fat. You may need a combo of upper and lower tightening as opposed to traditional abdominoplasty. I would recommend having a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area

Marialyn Sardo, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Candidacy for Tummy Tuck?

+2

From your photos, it appears your have excess skin in your tummy wall.  You may be a candidate for a tummy tuck, but a formal physical exam is warranted to make any recommendations.  Best of luck.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS